To The Unexpected Best Friend I Didn't Know I'd Need

You're the person I never knew I needed, but am endlessly grateful that I have.

2366
Alexis Mills

It was unexpected. I don't know how or when or why we became friends. I don't even know when we became best friends. But what I do know is that, despite all the blurriness and indefinite details, I am so endlessly grateful to have you in my life.

You're the friend I never knew I needed. We're polar opposites; I'm the reserved, shy, and quiet to your boisterous and loud. You push me out of my comfort zone, encourage me to be more and do more than I ever thought I would. You bring out a side of me that I didn't know existed, and I love who I am and have become since I've had you by my side. It's crazy to me how close we are (and are becoming still), because I truly never thought it'd be this way. I always loved having you around but it wasn't until we started spending actual time together that I realized how much I meant that.

I'll admit that we haven't been best friends for long. In reality, it's only been a few months, but this friendship is so natural that it feels like much, much longer. I cherish our countless car rides, where we belted out our favorite songs and talked about everything and nothing at the same time. I can't think of anything better than the times where I would climb in your car and then find ourselves asking each other five hours later how we managed to blow through that much time and questioning what we even did or where we went. I wouldn't trade any of those memories for the world, and I cherish this past summer with you. I hope there'll be many more to come.

I love your goofiness because it brings out my own. I enjoy your arrogance and the annoyingly condescending way you talk to me about sports. I mostly appreciate that you (sometimes) enjoy my humor and laugh at my jokes. You're my number one hypeman and I'm yours. I'm so glad that you're willingly to open up to me, and that I feel comfortable enough to do the same... Lord knows how many strange conversations we've had because of this, but I love those, too. I hope to never lose you because I know I'd be lost without you--not to mention that without me, you'd be even more of a hot mess.

I want you to know that no matter what, I am here for you. No matter if it's 698 miles or two, I will be by your side. Anyone you need me to release all five feet zero inches of my wrath on, I will gladly give them a piece of my mind. Please know that you can come to me with anything and everything and I will do my best for you, because I know you'd do that for me, too.

It was unexpected, this friendship, the bond we have; I'm not sure if we could have ever seen it coming. But, Unexpected Best Friend, I love you and I love us.

Here's to a lot more surprises.