An Open Letter To My Long Distance Best Friend

Thanks to the guy who is always there for me.
14

Going away to college is a tried and true experience of many young adults across the world. During my senior year of high school, I was finding that the best school for me was across the state, a total of eight hours away from you. This choice I made to go away to school, to a place where I wouldn't know anyone seemed incredibly daunting at first, but, before I could doubt my choice, you reassured me that I was on the right path. A path that meant I would be too long of a drive away to see my best friend for months at a time.

That was two years ago. You're in college now too, and we're a total of 12 hours away from one another for most of the year. Yet, despite the fact that our distance has grown, I don't feel that our friendship has faltered in the slightest.

Sure, we occasionally go too long without talking sometimes, and yeah, it often sucks playing phone tag, but when we do get the chance to talk, it never ceases to bring a smile to my face that will last for hours after the call. My friends at school have even begun noticing how much my mood actually brightens after we talk, no matter the subject matter or length of the call.

I'm not entirely sure why our friendship works the way it does, why it's able to last through great distance, or why it is that your terrible puns never cease to make me laugh, but I do know that I thank God every day for you.

Thank you for reminding me of all my strengths and keeping me wary of my weaknesses. Thank you for supporting me with any means you can, when I fail at keeping myself together. Thanks for pushing me to better myself and helping me brainstorm creative ways to navigate life. And perhaps most importantly of all, thank you for always being there for me in this messed up journey despite being 12 hours away.

Thanks for being you.

Love,

Lys