An Open Letter To My Best Friend Who Lives Thousands Of Miles Away

From having a best friend next door to having a best friend in California, the friendship is still the same

36
Alexis Taylor

We all have a best friend. A best friend is someone who you can always go to, count on and trust. A best friend is someone who you can be silly with and laugh with until your stomach hurts, or someone who you cry on when you're hurting. A best friend is someone who you can get into trouble with and no matter what you'll have each others backs. My best friend moved and it just happened to be across the country, thousands of miles away.

Dear best friend,

I remember when you told me you were moving in next door to me. We were in 7th grade. You sat in front of me in Language Arts. I had never had anyone my age live next door or across the street so I was excited. We had our first sleep over at your Gram's house and our moms talked for what felt like hours. This is when it all started.

I remember all of the renovations you guys did on the house before you moved in. I remember when we tore down that wall in your kitchen with sledge hammers. And when your mom was working on the bathroom and busted a hole right through her lip, but refused to go to the hospital. Yet, soon enough you and your mom moved in. We became so close so quickly. Everyday you would come over before we went down to the bus stop and every year we took a first day of school picture with my brother. It's crazy to think how many memories we made in that short 6 years.

I remember the day we pulled that huge stump out of the ground in your yard. I remember when we would lay out in the hammock and go exploring in the woods behind our houses. We would go up to the elementary school and swing on the swings hang out with our friends.

I remember all of the trips and adventures we went on. From the times we went skiing at Seven Springs to going ziplining at Go Apes Treetop Adventure Course. And the time we climbed up to that cave. What a treacherous journey that was.

I remember how we always watched the 'Walking Dead' together every Sunday. Me, you and my brother down in my game room eating popcorn and watching Rick and the gang slay some 'Walkers'. We always made Velveeta together—well I always made it and we ate it together. We would have lazy days and watch movies all day together. We made monkey bread a lot and there was that one time we didn't let the dough rise so after it was finished baking, we pulled in out and all we had were little cinnamon dough rocks.

I remember all the times that I cried on your shoulder and all the times you cried on mine. Whether it was a boy, a friend, or a fight with one of our parents, we always had each other, and there was no judgement. I even remember the night I stayed up all night with you to make sure you were okay.

I remember the fights we had. Always stupid. There were times when we went days without talking to each other. But it never lasted long because we needed each other. We told each other everything. Even in the midst of a fight, one of us would always send a text about something important that couldn't wait until we made up. That was usually how we made up.

I also remember all the times we laughed until we ached. We would just look at each other and laugh. All of those crazy late nights when your mom was at work. And then there was that one time your mom called you 'Nasty Nelly' and my mom called me 'Snappy the Turtle'. No nicknames will ever top those. Except when your brother started calling me Agnes. I hated that.

I remember the day you told me you were moving. It was about a month into our senior year. I couldn't believe it. And you weren't just changing school districts or moving to Ohio or West Virginia, you were moving to California; across the whole country. You told me you would be moving at the end of October. We had so much to do in so little time. We tried to make the most of it by doing all of our favorite things together. From pulling all nighters to talking and painting our nails, we did it all. But when it came down to it, I still couldn't believe my best friend was moving.

I remember the morning of your move. I gave you your going away present which consisted of a photo album, a frame and a set of 'Open When...' letters. We cried and cried and then it was time to go. I'll never forget watching you and your mom drive off in that big U-Haul truck. My best friend was leaving me, in the middle of our senior year.

It was so hard for the longest time and still is. I had never experienced the pain of someone so close to you moving so far away. I always saw it in movies, but movies don't compare to when it really happens. But I'm thankful for the memories we made. I'm so thankful God brought you into my life. I'm so thankful that for all of those difficult years of high school that I was able to have a friend like you. Someone I could always count on. Someone I could always trust. Someone who I could be my true self with. I haven't been able to find another friendship like ours, but that's okay because we will always be friends, no matter the distance. It's hard not seeing you all the time, but I loved visiting you this summer and I know there will be many more trips. But until then, FaceTime and texting will have to do. I love you and I miss you everyday. Going home isn't the same without seeing your smiling face next door, except now I see the smiling faces of your four little cousins.

Thanks for always being a true friend; they're hard to find. Keep living and loving the Cali lifestyle for me. Tell everyone, including Zoey, that I said hi.

With much love from 2,459 miles away,

-Lex