A Letter To The Wilkes-Barre Area School District

You are forgetting what is most important here - the students.

8
The Times Leader

This week, a local school district in my home town voted eight to one to cut some programs from the school’s curriculum due to funding. What do these programs include? The arts.

Luckily, our community is coming together to protest this. Students in the district are taking it upon themselves to make a difference. As I write this, it is their third day standing outside protesting this decision. To help this cause out, I have written a letter.

To The Wilkes-Barre Area School Board:

I may not be a student of yours, but doesn’t that just say enough? This does not only reflect your students, but a community as well. I was highly active in the arts, and met some of my lifelong best friends that were once students of your district through your art programs. You are cutting something so crucial and beneficial to the way we live. Art is everywhere, and in every form. That song you are listening to on your way home from work? Art.

That mural on the building down the road? Art.

Students cooking? Art.

Students reading, writing, and creating their own works? Art.

Art is a crucial aspect to the way we live, and by cutting it out of the curriculum, you’re not giving students the chance to express themselves through art. Many children have no other way of being able to attend such programs other than through the school. Many of your elementary students will get to the middle school and high school level, and have no way of getting to pick up an instrument or hold a paintbrush. In fact, my little sister, a second grader in your elementary school, will never get the chance to do those things with these cuts.

I want the next generation to be able to take such classes. I want the next generation to be creative, loving, caring, and go-getters. I want them to use art to take a stand against issues affecting our world. I want them to be able to compose a famous march, to be able to star on Broadway, or to be the next Picasso. Art helps shape these possibilities and qualities. By cutting these programs, you’re cutting off possibilities.

If you need persuasion as to why to keep these programs, here is a little list of what art can do.

Improved Performance

Art education improves the overall performance of students, including in the core academic subjects that are often emphasized by standardized testing requirements.

Risk Taking

Performing a musical piece or debuting a piece of art can bring fear and anxiety. Doing so teaches kids how to take risks and deal with fear, which will help them become successful and reach their potential.

Teamwork

Art often can require teamwork. Whether it be playing in an ensemble, or working together to write a poem for class. In these groups, students learn how to work together and build camaraderie.

Self Confidence

With encouragement from teachers and parents, students can build pride and confidence when they achieve something new, whether it be hitting a new note on their instrument, or conquering a new painting technique.

Creativity

Kids who study the arts can learn to think creatively. This kind of education can help them solve problems by thinking outside the box and realizing that there may be more than one right answer.

In my own experience, art programs made my high school career. I started in fifth grade on the clarinet, a shy, nervous middle schooler. By my sophomore year, I had branched out, made lifelong friends, and achieved great things. I branched off and joined theatre, and from there took up Photography. Until I played my very last note senior year and said my final line on the stage, I put literal sweat and tears into my practices. I had set goals, whether it be to learn a challenging piece of music, or to audition for a play. The Arts Program pushed me to do my best, and pushed me to push myself to higher levels.

All because of my experience with the arts, I go to a great college, get great grades, and am involved in multiple and diverse extra-curricular activities. I set goals for myself, and think creatively. Without art, I wouldn’t be where I am today. Because of this, I fight for something so precious and equally as important as “common core”. Why deprive students of something that can be so crucial to their development? It’s shown all across the board that art does nothing but better people. I urge you to re-consider what you’re doing. While it may help your funding situation, it isn’t helping what’s most important of all here - the students.