A Letter To The Place I Grew Up

A Letter To The Place I Grew Up

a "thank you" and a "I'm sorry"

441
A Letter To The Place I Grew Up
myself

Dear Hometown,

First off, thank you. Thank you for the best years of my life and overall making me the person I am today. No matter where I go with my travels throughout my life, there will never be another place in this universe that could hold a spot in my heart like you do. I've been with you since I was born in that hospital that 99.9% of my friends also took their first breaths in. With your population of 945,934 Delawareans you always felt like one of those little cliche small towns like in One Tree Hill or Friday Night Lights.. well except the state version. You've seen me grow up into the 19 year old I am now and loved me all the way even though most of the time I showed nothing but anger towards you. Anger because I had yet to find someone who didn't know someone who knew me or knew something of me. Never being able to fully express myself of my interests without someone butting into it was becoming so tiresome. With that being said, I'm sorry that I had to leave you. It's sad, but sometimes you just grow away from certain things and without a doubt my wing span was way too large for the width you could hold. You can say that it's hard living in a 6 foot town when you're 10 feet tall. You brought me up in a way that made me hold my dreams to the highest standards and at this point in my life I wouldn't have been able to obtain those dreams with you by my side. You gave me some of the absolute best people I could have asked for...and you continue to hold them captive while I'm 1,000 miles away. Most people say that one day they will move away from you, but yet I've only seen those same people stay and firmly plant their roots deeper into your soil. I can't blame them, familiarity is comfort. Thank you for making me realize that my best decisions in life come from eons outside of my comfort zone. I can't deny that I surely miss you sometimes, mostly while sitting alone after work realizing I don't have that friend to call up down the round or when I could really use a big hug from my grandma who has always been able to solve anything with her assuring words. Because of this, I will be visiting you in a few short months and we can happily take a stroll down memory lane together.

With much love,

The little girl off sunnybrook drive