A Letter To The Person Who Tried To Break Me

I can confidently say that I still think of you every day. But, sadly, I doubt you would like to hear what my thoughts have to say. I would, however, like for you to know that I am fed up of you and the bitter memories you left behind. And with this letter, I finally let go of you. Well, not you, more like your aftermath.

Ever since the day whatever we had ended, I have learned what it is like to smile, to be free, and even to feel whole. So it's time for me to let go. Not of you, because I let go of you the very instant it all ended, but of the bitter memories and insecurities that have held me back for so long. In trusting you, I found anger and hurt, but there is no reason for me to keep dragging those along for the happy ride that awaits me. In letting go of you, I let go of the bounds that kept me from moving forward. But before I do, I would like to do three things.

First, I would like to ask something of you. In light of what you did, I believe that this is just a small fraction of what you owe me. And what I ask of you is simple: grow up. By doing this you ensure that no one else suffers through the same pain I did. Take responsibility, be mature, and ask for forgiveness where you know it is due. There is nothing more mature than being a person who creates strong bonds and cultivates healthy relationships. And this is something I am asking of you, but it won't be enough until you ask it of yourself.

Also, I would like to say that I am sorry. I am truly sorry for not speaking up and stopping you from doing and saying the things that ultimately hurt us both. I am truly sorry for not being the person to stop you in your tracks, to help you realize that the attitude you have towards your loved ones will only lead to loneliness. I apologize for not sticking by you to see all of these things through, but I am not sorry for leaving. I took care of myself and made sure that I rediscovered the things that once made me happy. And for that I will never apologize.

Finally, I would like to thank you. If it weren't for you, I would have never learned how valuable I am. If it weren't for our painful separation, I would have never found comfort in the embrace of those who truly value me. And, as I am writing this, I can't help but smile. Because I am far from broken, I am as whole as I have ever been.

This was long overdue, so consider this a final and indisputable termination of whatever link was left between us. I hate to be an 'ice queen,' but I am letting go; you're not holding me back anymore.

Sincerely,

A person you thought you had broken