To The Newest Addition To My Family, You've Always Been His Dream

You two deserve the world. And that, you will give to one another.

105
Anna Cook

Dear Newest Addition To The Cook Clan,

As you join hands with my brother on this day, I need you to know what your presence in his life has meant to me and my family.

We've known you for seven years, but you've known him for 13.

Your paths were intertwined since the 6th-grade homeroom. You saw each other grow through the most awkward and cringe-worthy stages of life. You were friends before you were partners. You liked each other before you loved each other.

I remember going with my parents my freshmen year of high-school to see you guys off to Senior Prom. I don't really think that I had even met you yet, but I remember feeling a little more connected to my brother that day because I was able to see a little bit into his personal life.

You see, Josh and I didn't really talk much in high-school, just because he was a senior and I was a freshman, and we had spent pretty much most of our childhood annoying one another. So I found it special to be able to kind of meet the girl he fancied.

Of course, I didn't know at that moment in time that you'd be the newest addition to my family.

There was a brief period where you guys spent some time apart because you were both giving university life at Auburn a new chance. Keeping your options open to see if life brought you back together.

I don't remember much about this period of time because I wasn't actually there and I was only a sophomore in high school, but I remember that he missed you, that things weren't the same for him and he wanted you back.

Time brought you back together soon enough. And here we are, five years later.

When I came to Auburn freshmen year, you were a friend to me. Sometimes, I would hang out with you and Josh, and you would always make me feel welcomed and loved in that messy four bedroom boys apartment where "Parks and Rec" was always playing in the background of whatever was going on.

From there, our friendship grew.

You have always been intentional about checking in on what's going on in my life. You have given me boy advice time and time again and have always been a cheerleader for me on the sidelines.

You made me feel like I had a friend in you from the beginning, which has allowed me to entrust you with my brother's heart from the start of it all.

I've seen the effect you've had on him over the years.

His heart has softened, he's gained empathy, and he's grown more patient with changing circumstances.

Of course, I attribute a lot of that to him and his journey through college in his walk with Christ, his accomplishments in education, and the friendships he maintained, but I also think loving you and being loved by you have made him a better person.

I see the way he looks at you. His gaze is full of love and patience. His future filled with aspirations and hopes, most of them consisting of what you both can accomplish together.

You're his sidekick. You're his love. You're his best friend.

You've allowed him to gain insight into what it is to truly love another and for that, I thank you because he has become a more loving and understanding person.

For my family, you've provided us with so much laughter it's hard to contain. You treat every one of us with love and respect.

We've seen how you are together versus how you are when you are apart. And the way that you two function as a unit is unstoppable and contagious.

You renew our hearts with what love should look like.

You bring him happiness. Therefore, you bring us the comfort of knowing that he is content and has someone by his side who will always push him to be a better person.

Nonetheless, he does the same for you, and that's why it works.

You have provided me with a friendship that has also allowed me to grow in my relationship with my brother. So thank you for that.

Always,

Your newest sister-in-law