A Letter To The Men Who Don't Realize What They Have Till It's Gone

10529
The Cosmic Dolphin

Dear the one who let me go,

I’ve heard it all before: “I was stupid; I didn’t know what I had until it was gone; I realized I messed up.” Well, let me give you a little bit of advice -- that line is getting a tad bit too old. If you don’t remember, you let me go, and you don’t get the decision to walk back into my life whenever it’s convenient for you. It’s emotionally draining and something I just can’t do anymore. Like the caring women that we are, we believe what you say, and we try again placing our fragile hearts back in your hands only to have it destroyed all over again months down the road. We do this even when you promised things would be different this time around. I’m tired of being thought of and considered worth it only after I’m gone.

Well, to your surprise and even to my own surprise, your plea to have me back isn’t going to work. Did you experiment after we broke up and realize that some girl you met at the bar and took home is the complete opposite of me? She doesn’t care about your feelings and doesn’t go out of her way to make your day like I did? I’m tired of being the girl you realized was amazing only after I was gone.

I want a man who knows what he has when he has me, and I have no problem waiting for that man. I’m tired of not being good enough the first time around. I’m tired of people having to seek out what else they can find until returning back to me. I’m tired of being your last option when all else fails. Why does it have to take losing me to find out that you need me back?

The majority of these letters end with thanking that person who broke your heart, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do. I want to thank you for opening up my eyes to the future men who share this legendary line with me because you have saved my heart from yet another heartbreak. You have played a crucial role in my future and when the next guy gives me that legendary line, I’ll be sure to point them in your direction so you can explain to them why you’ve left me with nothing but lack of emotion. It’s a trend with you men and when the next guy says it, I’ll be sure to not believe him and walk away with nothing but pride because I have learned from the very best.

Sincerely,

The girl who was enough the first time around