A Letter To My Younger Self

A Letter To My Younger Self

Hold on tight, my younger self. It’s going to be bumpy ride, but I already know you will enjoy the view.

11
A Letter To My Younger Self

When I think about the fact that I was 14 years old just eight years ago, I think, Wow! Time has flown by so fast in these past couple of years. I have always heard the saying that with age comes wisdom. I had to think about this and I found it to be very true, at least for me. Now, I know that I have a lot of learning still to do in life, but I wonder what my soon-to-be 22-year-old self would say to my 14-year-old self, if I were given the chance to hop in a time machine and go back to the year 2008, which actually sounds a little scary!! Well, since I cannot physically do that (even though it would be cool!), I can at least give my younger self some advice. I wonder if my 14-year-old self would actually listen to me! Well, here goes nothing:

Dear Younger Anna-Alicia,

I hope you are doing well. This is your 22-year-old self, by the way. I am excited for you as you are about to embark on a new chapter in your life: high school. Now, don’t be too afraid! Your older self is here to get you through all the speed bumps that comes with high school life.

First off, choose your close friends wisely. I know you have already heard this before by some other older adult, but it’s very true. Stick close to your friends that you grew up with like Shelby, Kyle and Danielle. They will be the ones to help get you through those tough times ahead. With this, try to recognize when someone actually wants to be your friend or when they are just using you so they can get your answers to the homework that’s due by next period. By the way, anything the teacher actually writes on the board, jot it down. It will probably be on the test.

Secondly, realize that you’re beautiful just the way you are. Girl, I know this one is hard! I mean, I am the older version of you, after all! If you don’t hear anything else from this letter, hear this: you are beautiful. You don’t have to pray that God would lighten your skin so that the boys will like you. You don’t have to change your hair or talk a different way than you normally would. You don’t have to act dumb so that the boys will like you, either. By the way, if you have to completely change yourself for him, then he is not the one for you. Don’t even waste your time. Embrace the fact that you love literature and books! Embrace the fact that you love to listen to Motown and Pop Music! Embrace the fact that you actually like school because it will pay off in the end, trust me.

Lastly, never give up. I know this sounds cliché, but it’s true. While you’re in high school, you will take the hardest math class of your life, face some drama, lose some friends and gain some new ones, experience death, loss, and anger, etc. High school in general is just a roller coaster, just like life. I never want you to give up! I don’t want you to listen to those who say that you won’t make it, because you will. Never give up on your dreams. Never think that something is not possible. Remember: those who achieved before you were told that it wasn’t possible until they made it so.

It is all possible, my younger self. You just have to believe in yourself. By the way, as you embark on a new chapter, I just wanted to let you know that you will grow in ways that you never thought possible. Not to mention, you will choose an awesome university to attend.

Until next time,

The older Anna-Alicia.