A Letter To President Trump From A Disappointed Liberal Arts Student

I tried to accept you, but you’ve threatened the well being of some of the most capable students on my campus.

18
Slate

President Trump,

In the early hours of November 9th, 2016, the world received news that you were elected President of the United States. The news was unexpected by most; some even say it was unexpected by you.

Now, whether we are your biggest supporters or most fearing objectors, you are our president. You, along with many others on your team, have asked for our trust in your ability to guide and lead us for the next 4 years.

After 3 months of trying our very best to accept the fact that you are our leader, I must admit, you’re making it hard to gain our trust.

I attend a small liberal arts school, where the education I am receiving is centered on a global mentality that promotes diversity, inclusiveness, and integration among all genders, races, ethnicities, religions, etc.

I attend classes with students from 27 different countries around the world each and every day. My eyes have been opened to many different walks of life on my campus, and I cherish the cultural diversity I’m exposed to.

Now, you’ve created a ban on some of the countries that the very gifted and successful international students on my campus are from. These students bring so much to the table for my college, and play a large role in the successes we have on campus. The contributions they make in and out of the classroom help shape us into an inclusive and culturally diverse environment, and make us the unique community we are.

These successful students, though, who chose to attend college in the United States for what they thought would be a beneficial experience that would open opportunities for them, are now unsure about the future of their education and lives in the United States – because of you. These students have to attend classes each day not knowing when they’ll be going home next, or what will happen if they do - because of you.

My college, and so many other liberal arts schools promote diversity for a reason. It is indented to prepare each student to graduate with the ability to objectify the world in an inclusive, non-ethnocentric manner. What are we supposed to think when our president and “leader” is promoting just the opposite?

So, you’ve asked for our trust in your ability to lead, and we’ve tried. I, at least, tried to remain positive about your election after I realized it was going to happen whether I liked it or not. After just over two weeks in office though, you’ve reminded myself and so many others why we feared your inauguration.

Your motives simply don’t match up with what our country has worked to achieve over the last 50 years, and I can’t help but wonder why you’d throw that progress down the drain.

I tried to accept you, but you’ve threatened the well being of some of the most capable students on my campus. You have made a mockery out many colleges' efforts to promote diversity and inclusiveness in a way that was intended to prepare students to function morally in the world.

For that, and many other reasons, you’ve lost my trust.

Sincerely,

A Disappointed Liberal Arts Students