A Letter To A PNM Considering Recruitment

"From the outside looking in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it."

51
MacKenzie Meadows

Hi beauty, I know coming into college is very intimidating, and it might be a little scary for you. Or maybe your older, and you have decided to go through with recruitment. Meeting all the new people, seeing all the new faces, and entering something that is completely new and unknown. You're entering a world that is already set in it's ways, and you might be a little terrified. With all the anxiety and all the pressure you are probably already feeling, I bet recruitment sounds like an even scarier feat that you feel as if you are not ready to take on.

You see the videos of recruitment, you see all the sorority girls running around in packs, and you have probably heard rumor, after rumor, and you're thinking to yourself, "Hell no, I am not putting myself through that." Well please breathe, and listen carefully, because even though, yes, recruitment is scary and intimidating, it can change your life, and it can change your life in the best ways, recruitment is one of the many things college has to offer, so please don't turn your back and run away out of fear of judgment, I promise you, you are not alone.

To a potential new member, please breathe. Seeing all the beautiful women running around campus looking flawless, it's for you. The excitement and the trying, and the sleepless nights are to make sure that every PNM feels comfortable and will want to end up going Greek. You might not feel like you belong at first, but there are so many different chapters, and I promise you will find your forever home, there is a place for you here on our little oasis known as Greek Row, it might not appear that way, but you will be surprised.

It's okay to be nervous. It's okay to double check your outfits a million times, it's okay to be shy and feel out of your comfort level, because the honest to God truth is that the active members are just as nervous and scared as you are, trust me. Active sorority girls have been planning your arrival for months, and they are more nervous to meet you than you are to meet them. We are all in the same boat here, you are not alone feeling the way you are feeling, and you are not being asked to change who you are to complete this process, please stay true to yourself and who you really are because in the end, it will be 100% worth it.

Rumors. You're going to hear the worst of the worst about specific houses. You're going to hear the "make you get naked on a dryer" or "you have to eat bugs" and all that nonsense. But that's all that it is, nonsense. You're going to hear that "If you eat the food during recruitment you won't get a bid" or if "You get handed off to more than one girl that means they don't want you." Let me make myself the clearest of clear, none of that is true. These rumors are the same every single year at every school. They are made up from other scared PNM's and they are the farthest thing from the truth. So, if you are very, very worried about hazing, and rumors, and all that jazz; please trust me when I say, you are going to be adored in your new home, so don't like the stigma of sorority life keep you from finding your forever home.

So as the time is approaching, I hope this love letter helped you calm your nerves. I hope you have the most amazing recruitment experience you can. Every girl fits in to greek life, every girl finds their home because there is such a variety, I promise. One day you will look back on recruitment, and thank yourself over and over again, because look to where it has brought you beautiful, it has brought you to your forever friends, your bridesmaids, memories you will cherish forever, and a place you can always call home.

So go ahead, take a leap of faith.