Letter to Neumann's Incoming Class of 2021

Welcome Class of 2021!

63
Insbright

7/18/17

Dear Neumann's incoming Class of 2021,

Welcome to becoming freshmen at Neumann University. I will be pleased to help you in any way as a fellow upperclassman. Before you get on campus, here are some things you need to know.

You need to start college on the right foot. Adjusting to college may be hard for some of you if you are transitioning from high school, but here are at least 15 things to start college right.

First, you have to maintain a college budget. You should be aware of the upfront and hidden costs. Keep a record of all expenditures and it will force you to be accountable for extracurricular spending, including clothes shopping and nights out with friends.

Second, when packing for college, less is more. Having to choose what to bring to college can be stressful. You are moving into a small space with little storage. You should pack items you can share with roommates and also bring storage boxes that can be stored under beds and/or in closets.

Third, you need to get along with your roommates. One major transition for many students is adjusting to sharing a small space with other people. Roommates may be able to avoid issues if ground rules are set from the beginning. Having conversations about cleaning schedules or having friends over can ensure roommates are on the same page.

Fourth, be proactive about fighting college stress. There are many things that can pressure you guys like making new friends, doing well in class and enhancing your resume, to name a few. Freshmen may be able to alleviate some of this stress by getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, or seeking out counseling services on campus.

Fifth, fight the Freshman 15. For many students, college is the first time they've been responsible for their own meals, and college dining halls often offer buffet options. Freshmen who want to fight the bulge should consider counting calories-and many schools have made it easier to do by sharing calorie information.

The next tip is about Greek Life, but on Neumann's campus, we don't have that many sororities to join since we do have a lot of clubs and activities you can join.

Sixth, find cheap college textbooks. full-time college students spent an average of $655 on required course materials during the 2010-2011 school year. Before freshmen purchase textbooks at college bookstores, they should consider renting.

Seventh, get textbooks for free. While using online services to compare textbook prices can save students money, there may be ways to get free copies of textbooks. Before buying a textbook, students should explore the library for extra copies or see if the professor has extras to lend out to students.

Eighth, use technology to manage college life. There are a lot of obligations and events on a college student's plate and it can be overwhelming to manage. Innovations in education technology have opened the door for students to more easily organize the daily activities through new mobile apps available on both Apple and Android devices.

Ninth, dealing with a bad grade in college. Receiving a bad grade in college can be frustrating, but it is also a learning experience. Students who have questions about their grade can talk to the professor in a meeting one-on-one in his or her office, which is beneficial in numerous ways: the student learns from the experience and the professor gets to know the student.

Tenth, time is money. College is basically high school on steroids when it comes to managing your time. The first thing you should get before arriving on campus is getting a planner. College professors aren't going to remind you when a due date or an exam is approaching. It will be in the syllabus, or they will tell you in class, and if you do not write it down, you are in trouble! Do not rely on just study guides when studying for an exam. Work hard, play hard.

Eleventh, adulting is harder than it looks. This is the first time you will be independent for the most part. There is no curfew, no telling you what time to come home and no one to judge you. Whether you are homesick, confused, or you screw something up, remember you are still young and it is okay to not have it all together. If you were close with your parents before college, remember to keep in touch with them. They will help you stay grounded. You can do this!

Twelfth, become a part of something bigger than yourself. I cannot stress enough the importance of getting involved in a group or organization on campus. If you are just going back and forth between class and your dorm, chances are you are not going to have a positive college experience. Obviously, you are there to get an education, but everyone knows college is the perfect time to expand your horizons, try new things and truly figure out who you are. Being surrounded by like-minded people is not only good for the soul, but it is also a really great way to make friends and make a mark on your campus. Plus, if you hold leadership positions, you can put it on your resume… Your future job-seeking self will thank you later.

Thirteenth, your professors are actually real humans. Do not be scared to talk to your professors. They are actual people with feelings, and they do normal stuff like go to the grocery store and binge-watch Netflix. If you have any questions or concerns, there is nothing wrong with speaking to them about it ― that is what you are paying them for. That being said, approaching them after class is typically not the best way to get their attention. They might have another class they have to get to, and they are being rushed with questions. Typically, they will have office hours listed in their syllabus. Try to show up at their office during those times. If that does not work with your schedule, which will happen quite frequently, email them, tell them what days and times you are available, and make an appointment. And here’s a secret I have learned from personal experience… You might even get them to raise your grade if you ask nicely!

Fourteenth, say "yes" more often than you say "no." Like I said before, college is about education, first and foremost. If your grades are suffering, you need to make that your priority, no exceptions. However, if your school work is going great, you have developed your time management skills, and you have some free time, learn how to say 'yes' to new opportunities. When I first came to college, it was my instinct to turn down invitations to hang out with people. It seemed like there were too many possibilities for embarrassment. What if I say the wrong thing? What if the people are lame? How do I even act around upperclassmen? When I finally said yes to my roommate’s invitation to hang out with her friends, I realized that saying 'yes' is way better than saying 'no'. You do not want to look back on your college years and have no fun memories. It is all about balancing work and play. Get outside your comfort zone and put yourself in unfamiliar situations with new people. You might meet your new best friend and have the time of your life! You never know until you try. So, blaze your own trail, make incredible memories, and don’t be afraid to say 'yes'. After all, you are embarking on the adventure of a lifetime. Treat it as such.

There are your 15 tips. If you ever need help on campus, I will be around.

Sincerely,

Keisha Deeds

Liberal Arts '18, Math minor