A Letter To My 14 Year Old Self

A Letter To My 14 Year Old Self

Some advice I wish I could give to the younger me

10
A Letter To My 14 Year Old Self
catlover1979

Time is going by fast. I know, I sound like an one of those cute grandmas who lecture kids on why it’s important to cherish your youth and spend every moment like it’s your last, but those old people know what’s up. Today, I was at a soccer game at my high school. There were so many little kids running around, with their future bright and full of potential. I found myself thinking of old memories and reminiscing about childhood, and I realized that before you know it, those little kids who were running around looking at their idols on the soccer field soon would be growing up. These kids who aspire to be playing on the varsity soccer team in fact would be playing on the team in the blink of an eye. When people said high school goes by fast, I never fully expected that it would actually go by so fast. Here I am, scared because my high school life is passing me by. Freshman year was three years ago, that’s just scary. I remember being scared of going into this big ocean that is high school, afraid of the big fish, afraid to drown.

Looking back, it’s scary watching the younger version of me in my head through memories. Everyone always says things like, “I can’t wait to get out of this town” or “I just need to make it through this year”. Hearing that kind of thing depresses me. These people are wishing their life away. The principle of being present is a virtue of mine, if you look too much to the future how will you be content with yourself? That’s one thing I’m glad that you’ve (or do I say I’ve?) done. You enjoyed every second of your middle school career, and you always look forward to new endeavors. I hope you continue to persevere, and I hope you always stay true to who you are. No matter what, always believe in who you are and never give in to those who make you doubt yourself. These next few years will bring some heat, so be prepared to be calm, confident, and collected. Also, please stay close to the real friends you have. It’s not cool to let your best friends drift apart, especially if it’s because you found “cooler” friends; believe me, those “cool” friends are not even half as loyal as your day one amigas. This being sad, don’t limit yourself. You are a sociable and easy to love gal, so please don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone to meet new people.That brings me to my next point. Try new things! It’s okay to like routine, but you’d be surprised by how enjoyable new things can be. Don’t take things too personally, and most importantly don’t over think things.Hopefully, you’ll take these few words of advice to heart. I’m proud of you and everything you’ve accomplished.

With love,

Future you