A Letter To The Woman Who Has Given Me Everything

How do you thank the most wonderful, supportive, amazing, smartest and loving woman in your life?

176
Karley Nugent

I know, I know, finally, right?

I've written articles for Forrest, Hayden and Dad already, and it's been a while since I've published those. So maybe, mom, the first question you're asking yourself and me by reading this is, 'why did you take so long to write one for me?'

Well, that answer is both really simple and totally complicated; I had no idea how to write this one. Writing a letter for you has been the hardest assignment I've given myself, because seriously, how do you thank the most wonderful, supportive, amazing, smartest and loving woman in your life?

Now, here I am finally forcing myself to write all of this out and hope it's good enough. (Seriously, this article has been a draft on my computer that's been written and changed and rewritten and edited and cut down and lengthened out more times that I could have kept count of.)

Mom, to be honest, I still have no idea where to begin, but I can't put it off anymore. I figured that maybe at the very beginning is a good place.

Photo by Karley Nugent

Since that June day in 1993, you have gone above and beyond the standards set for all mothers. You've given me the best of the best and have raised me to be the absolute best I could be in all things that I do in my life.

From day one, you've always encouraged me to pursue my dreams and aspirations with 101 percent of myself. You taught me how to put my heart into everything that I do, because I've watched you always do just the same. It's always been inspirational to me; it just took a little bit of growing up on my part to realize that.

I never made it easy on you.

There have been struggles and hardships, because we didn't always agree on things. There have been struggles in the times when I thought I knew better and times I talked back. But you've always had an unshakable sense of faith in me; you always knew for every mistake I made, I'd pick myself up and take those lessons with me. For that, I am grateful; your belief in me has given me strength to overcome so many obstacles I've faced.

All the memories you've given me are priceless to me. From Christmas mornings and Spring break shopping trips to people mistaking us as sisters or holding me while I cried over something or someone that broke my heart, you've made my life so much more wonderful than I could have ever asked for. I'm more blessed than I could ever say, know or truly comprehend to have you as my mother.

I think what's always meant the most to me is you never failing to reassure me that anything I chose to do with my life, I would be great at it- especially in my love and work for photography. You've always been there to lift me up and tell me how good of a job I had done, or give me the necessary criticisms when I needed them. You've helped me grow so much.

Photo by Karley Nugent

And now here we sit; me writing this and you reading it, knowing very soon I'm about to go off and take on the real world without you being close to me.

Wyoming is a long way away; I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. From the front door of our house to the park of Yellowstone I'll be living in, it measures out to 2,035 miles almost exactly, and I'm sorry that's so far away.

But just like you've always believed in me, I'm asking you to do it again.

You and dad were the ones who brought me to mountains for the first time. Both of you were the ones who introduced me to my greatest passions in life. But you have encouraged me to fight for my convictions, and you have pushed me to pursue my dreams harder than anyone I have ever known. It's finally all paid off, and I'd never be here were it not for your never-ending love and support.

You know me better than anyone, because you are my best friend. You are the most amazing best friend I have ever had and will ever have.

Please know that you have raised me to be a woman who wants, needs and knows she is capable of changing the world. And I will, all because of you.

Mom, what I'm trying to say is...I love you.

I love you so much more than I can explain in a simple Odyssey article. Please, please, please know that.

This is my promise to you: I will spend every day of my life working to make you proud of me, but I know deep down that you already are.

Everything I am and everything I will become, I owe to you. Thank you for giving myself.

Photo by Karley Nugent

Happy exploring.