A Letter To My Guardian Angel This Holiday Season

For my grandpa in Heaven.

7
Emily Reeves

Papa,

It’s Thanksgiving week and I can’t help but miss you a little extra. I’ve never known the world without you and now it’s going on nine months since you’ve gone to Heaven. I’ve never known a holiday season without you piling up your plate with food and helping Grandma in the kitchen. I’ve never known a family get-together without you trying to teach me how to play Euchre and being so patient with me even though I’m awful at it.

It was hard not having you see me graduate high school, and it was hard not seeing you the day before I moved into the dorms. It’s been so hard coming home and knowing that I can’t tell you about all of the exciting things happening in my life.

I miss your strong and quiet presence, and I miss your gruff laughter. I miss your hugs and your kisses and you wagging your finger at everyone when you lecture us for silly things.

Although I miss so many things about you, I can’t help but think about all of the things I’m thankful for that you brought into this world.

I’m thankful for the family that you and Grandma brought into this world and helped to raise. I’m thankful for the short temper you gave, even though I used to think it was a curse I now know it’s the reason why I’m so quick witted. I’m thankful for all the support you gave me by attending every sporting event, awards ceremony, and concert until you physically couldn’t.

I’m thankful for all the times that you let me sit on your lap and all of the times you let me follow you around like a shadow when I was little.

I hope that Thanksgiving in Heaven is just as great as it is down here. I hope you get to throw a football around and all of the other outdoorsy stuff that brought you so much happiness before.

Most of all, I just want to say that I am so thankful for you watching over me and guiding me each and every day. In some way, shape, or form, I know you are with me. For that, I’m thankful to God.

Love,

Your Granddaughter