An Open Letter To My Freshman Year

An Open Letter To My Freshman Year

It's been a long ride and I'm sad to see you go.

9
An Open Letter To My Freshman Year
nowthatscollege

Dear Freshman Year,

When I first began to really think about being a freshman in college, I was terrified. I remember sitting on my couch at home sobbing because at the last minute I decided I wasn't ready to go away to school. I was only going to be an hour and a half away, but I felt so scared to begin this new journey. My last night in my bed at home felt so weird, and I'm quite sure I cried myself to sleep. When I moved into my dorm the next day, I knew that was it; I knew that it was actually happening.

The first few days were quite rough, but having a roommate helped me to not to feel so alone. Together we learned how to deal with being a freshman in college, and both the good and the bad it brought. We navigated the campus together and made sure neither of us ever ate alone in the dining hall. Eventually, our dorm room became home and the struggle we were left with was just the workload. You have to expect a good amount of work in college, and I was very lucky that my first semester was more laid back. I had a well-balanced schedule and fairly lenient professors who didn't assign much work that was really too excessive. Basically, it wasn't hard for me to handle. In fact, it didn't feel much different than any workload I had in high school. Of course, I got used to this workload and my professors very quickly and knew what was expected of me. Throughout the year, I've done very well in some classes and not as well in others, but that's part of life I guess. I know now how to approach my workload and hopefully I'll be more successful in handling it in the future.

I hit some rough spots in terms of friendships. Basically, my roommate and I began the year with one set of friends and ended the year with a different set. We were inseparable from the first set of friends we made for most of the first semester. But then, some things were said and some things were done without us and we knew that this set of friendships wasn't going to last after all. It was especially hard because not only did this friendship end, but all socialization now ceased to exist. Since then, the civility has returned slightly, but true colors still show to this day. On the bright side, when this set of friendships ended, we made a few new (better) friends who have become our closest friends at college. I guess things have a funny way of working out like that sometimes.

I have no shame in admitting that I've cried so much more throughout my freshman year than I ever expected to. Tears have literally become one of my best friends. College can be really stressful, especially when this is your first rodeo. We are all overworked, sleep deprived teenagers who find it way too easy to cry as soon as anything doesn't go to plan. I promise nobody is going to judge you if you burst out in tears while brushing your teeth.

I had high expectations in terms of dining here, but in reality, I learned this year that the dining hall is just a slight step up from a high school cafeteria. There are a lot more options, but with these options comes more disappointment than expected. College is not all about the food, but being forced to have an unlimited meal plan to the dining hall really limits your options in terms of eating meals. Long and the short of it, dining dollars are more important than dining hall swipes.

I honestly had no idea what to expect from this year. I didn't think I'd ever adjust to living somewhere other than home, but this has truthfully become my second home. Actually, I'm pretty sad to move out, and I know that move-out day will be filled with tears. You just get so used to living in a dorm after being there for about eight months that the thought of leaving is hard. This being sad also has a lot to do with my roommate. I had no idea what is was going to be like living with essentially somebody I had just met. My roommate turned out to be the best friend I've ever had, and I really don't know what I'd do without her. Needless to say, numerous plans have been made for summer get-togethers.

I can truthfully say that I'm very happy with how my freshman year went. It had its rough patches, but it also had some really great times and produced so many great memories. While I can't wait to have an awesome summer, I also can't wait to move in again with my best friend next September and start our second year of this rodeo!

Freshman year has changed me, and I have to thank it for doing so. I'm sad to depart from it, but excited to see what next year brings. College goes by very quickly, so make sure to cherish every moment of it. I know I will.