A Reflection On My Freshman Year Of College

Dining hall food and dorm life sucks, but that doesn't mean everything about college does.

11
Saint Anselm College

As the year wraps up on my freshman year, I have come to reflect on whatever freshman year really is. My year was pretty traditional with plenty of ups and downs, laughs and tears, and hours spent doing homework. Packing up my things has made me realize that this year changed me, and while I often refer to it as "the worst year ever" now that I think about it it hasn't been that bad overall.

The first thing I realized is that I have the best best friends anyone could ask for. Letting myself make new friends was a big step and really hard. Due to my absurd closeness with my friends from home I was unwilling to let anyone really in, but making a new best friend makes handling college so much easier. I'm so glad I have you!

College allows you to try whatever you want and explore who you are. College has given me opportunities that I never would have thought interested me. I have realized what I want to do with my life, allowed me to plan my future, and give me a trial run at any pass time that might peak my interest. There is no need to grow up right away because this is the time to try whatever you want.

My world has opened up because of my new friends. To say I come from a close community is an understatement. While this is an amazing gift it also means I have lived a sheltered life. I am certainly a person that more open to new experiences and people. If you told me last year who I would be friends with this year I never would have believed you, but I couldn't be more thrilled with the people I am friends with. We are seriously the oddest collection of people, and that is what makes us fabulous! You all make my world bigger everyday. Thanks for spending my copious amounts of meal plan money for me! I'm really going to miss you all and your sassy dinner comments over the summer!

Home is the most amazing place on Earth. There is really nothing like coming home and being with your people (and your bed, and your shower!). Seriously, I think about home all the time, but I have realized that being away from home pushes you to adapt to a new place even if it's not exactly where you want to be.

Most importantly, I am stronger because I survived my first year of college. You name it I probably went through it this year. I know I can rely on myself, and that I can get through any unexpected situation that might be thrown my way. I might not be exactly who I want to be just yet, but I'm working my way to be that person.

To all of the incoming freshman if I could offer you any advice it would be let college in. Everyone says, "Get involved," and while this is important college needs you to let it in before you can do anything. You will always have home and your friends, but to open up your world is the most amazing thing you can do. Everyone does it in their own way and in their own time.

While I would do a lot of things differently this year, and there are plenty of things I would change if I could, these things are just part of life. I'm lucky enough to know that while the first year of college is wrapping up (YAY!) this is only the start.