A Letter To My First Year Roommate

A Letter To My First Year Roommate

A big thank you!

24
A Letter To My First Year Roommate

When I first came into this year, when I pushed open the door to our little room with our names on the outside, I had no idea what to expect when it came to roommates. I knew only what I could figure out from your Facebook and the few conversations that we'd had. What that means is that I saw some really cute pics of you and I knew what kind of TV shows you were into, but not much else. I was hoping for the best, but having heard so many horror stories, I was repeatedly telling myself not to get my hopes up.

What I couldn't have imagined from the little I knew is how great of a roommate you would be, from the very first day. You've been nothing but kind and considerate, always telling me that I should leave the lights on as long as I need and insisting I go back to sleep when you think you woke me up, even when you weren't making a sound. You even swear you don't mind my mess, which I promise I do my best to keep contained to my half of the room, even when it seems like if I just throw one more shirt on that ever expanding pile it will take over the entire space.

Thank you for listening to me complain about friends, classes, boys, grades; the trivial things and the stuff that actually matters. I'm so grateful that I can come back to the room and always know that you'll listen to me and talk out whatever I need to get off my chest, and I'm so incredibly fortunate to know that you'll always support me in whatever it is that I'm struggling with. From the very beginning you told me that if I ever needed anything, to always call you, and when I have needed you, you've always been there.

When I say I was hoping for the best, I didn't even know it would be possible that the roommate I would get matched with would be better than my wildest dreams. It's been an absolute pleasure to live with you this year. I couldn't be happier to have lived with you this year, I couldn't have picked a better roommate if I picked a roommate myself. I got lucky; the school matched me with someone I might have never met, and made me a friend. We've had some good memories living together, and I hope that we'll make many more good memories in the future.