To The Manager Who Gave Me My First Job, You're The Best I'll Ever Have

Thank you for being the best manager I'll ever have.

318

From the time that I started working until now, I have worked so many jobs that listing them on a resume makes me look more like a quitter than a busybody. I have acquired over a very long period of time a certain set of skills that have prepared me for everyday situations in life. (I just wanted to have a reference cause my jobs did subpar work in teaching me anything). From working with the rudest of customers in restaurants to the overly picky confused time-consuming shopper in retail, I can say that I have seen most of it all.

But there is no better job to have when you have a great relationship with your manager.

When I think about my first manager compared to the others after I was left feeling depressed and unmotivated about work. Not that I didn't enjoy the job that I was doing, but a bad manager can make you dread going to work more than working. Half of the battle of going to work is actually wanting to go. The other half of the battle is the shift that you are working and the people that you interact. I would call it a push-pull relationship. They both can push or pull you off the edge, but if they work together in harmony you can always stay balanced and level-headed. There is nothing worse for an employee's moral than when a manager is constantly breathing down your neck.

When that begins to happen... rebellion begins to happen.

With the bad manager, you start to complain about your pay rate (though you agreed to it) isn't enough to suffice for the amount of work that you are being given (though the job description told you what exactly you would be doing). You act a little more sluggish every day and to get through each hour you find a hiding spot that you can lay low at for a couple minutes here and there. We've all done it I will just be the first to admit it.

But for the great manager, you are a loyal sheepdog for. You give everything you've got every shift because you know that when you need your manager the most they will be there for you. Your tire caught a flat, but they tell you to stay home and relax. You want to go on that vacation so bad and they let you off even though it wasn't within a two-week notice period.

It really is the little things in life that go a long way.

And for the manager that always did the little things, I say thank you!