A Letter To My Dog On His First Birthday

I wish you could read so you'd know how much happiness you bring me.

3203
Kassidy Tirelli

Dear Levi/Levi-Leeverson/Beeps/BP/Leevers/Bad Puppy,

When you first came home that cold February night last winter, I had no idea how much I would love you. Having just lost our childhood dog, Luke, a few months before, I didn't think any dog could ever measure up to him.

I remember looking down at you sleeping on my lap during the car ride home and marveling at how tiny you were and what kind of dog you'd grow up to be. Once we got home, I watched you gingerly explore your new surroundings as you familiarized yourself with your new home.

Over the next few months, while I was away at school, I would look forward to coming home on the weekends and seeing how much you'd grown throughout the week. I loved getting pictures of you from my mom every day and hearing all about your latest antics.

Once I came home for the summer, I was thrilled to get to spend more time with you as you turned into a big dog before my eyes. Now, as your first birthday swiftly approaches, I can't believe I ever worried that you wouldn't be a good enough pet.

Now, I love seeing your head peeking out the window when I get home late, and it brightens up my morning when I'm making coffee before work and you get out of bed to come visit me. While you spent the first six months of your life torturing me with your razor-sharp puppy teeth, I love that you're finally learning how to give kisses.

This is the first time I've been old enough to remember one of my dogs as a puppy, and it's so bittersweet to see you go from a little puppy to a full-grown dog.

I've loved watching you learn to love the water, going from a timid puppy who would only put his paws on the first step of the pool to a fearless dog who will swim out into the deep end. Nothing makes me laugh more than when you get excited and do your "spring move," where you jump about three feet straight up in the air.

Every time you climb up on the couch to lay with me, pretending that you're still small enough to be a lap dog, my heart melts a little bit more. Last but not least, I love it when you show me how smart you are: sitting, laying down, giving your right and left paws, and rolling over.

I'm so glad you were the puppy we picked and that we are lucky enough to get the chance to be your family. I love all the fun we've had together and I can't wait for more adventures as you get older (and better at walking on a leash).

Happy 1st Birthday, Leeves.

Love,

The person who gives you treats.