An Open Letter To My Dog

An Open Letter To My Dog

Because my dog is truly my best friend.

34
An Open Letter To My Dog

When I think of home, I think of my dog. I can picture her coming into my room in the morning, her little stubby tail wagging behind her because she's excited to see me. I can see her curled up in her favorite corner, snoring louder than I do. I can hear her barking at whatever animal is in the backyard. I can picture her face when I said goodbye because I was coming back to school. It's been a few months since then and as Thanksgiving is nearing the corner, all I can think about is my dog.

Unfortunately, I'm not Eliza Thornberry or Dr. Dolittle, but if I was, here's what I would say:

Thank you for being there. Thank you for listening to me when no one else would. Thank you for comforting me when tears were streaming down my face.

Thank you for making me happier than anyone else can. From your funny faces to your little quirks like the cute way you snore after you've had a big meal and are sleeping, you always manage to put a smile on my face.

Thank you for your million kisses and the countless hours we've spent cuddling. Even when you clearly didn't want to, but I would close the door to my room so you couldn't get out regardless.

Thank you for bringing out the inner child in me. Because spending time with you brings back all of these memories of when I was six and chasing you around the house. You would run as fast as you could until you could reach my ankles and bite them. Hard. I'm kind of glad you are not a puppy anymore in that sense.

Thank you for growing with me. I remember picking you out from the litter of puppies when I was five years old, and I never in my wildest dreams imagined that you would change my life forever.

As you're getting older, I reminisce on these memories more and more. And I just want you to know that you will forever be a part of my heart.