A Letter To My Deceased Grandparent

A Letter To My Deceased Grandparent

You may be gone, but never will you be forgotten.

49
A Letter To My Deceased Grandparent
Pinterest.com

Dear Grandpa,

This month signifies what would have been your 90th birthday, whereas this year marks 12 years since you passed, or what I also know as 12 years too soon.

I remember the morning I received the news so well. On a cold Saturday morning, I walked into my parents’ room to find only my dad, where he sat my brother, sister and I down and broke the news. I remember the feeling of my stomach dropping as I saw sadness within his big, brown eyes. I knew you were not doing well, but I never truly realized how bad it was, not until now, at least. You were diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease seven years prior, and it progressively consumed you until there was nothing left. I was only 7 years old and did not have an understanding in the world. That was until now.

While growing up, our lives intertwined. We spent every Thursday together, whether it was cleaning your house with Mom or taking walks to the local park. On special occasions, we got to see each other additionally at family or birthday parties and weekend getaways at the lake up in New York. You were always a reason to have the family come together, and I was always grateful for that. Subsequently, we did not talk much, but the conversation was not always necessary. You spoke through your love for music, silly expressions, and gift giving. And perhaps, the concept of just being together was enough.

As the years pass and I turn into a young adult, I begin to feel occasional absence and recognize why. I realize someone who should be enjoying life with me is missing, and that someone is you. You never got to witness my first job, soccer goal, basketball game, cross country and track meets, or high school graduation. You never got to meet my first best friend or boyfriend. You never got to witness my first days of middle school, high school, or college. You will never get to witness my future wedding day, children, or husband. No can one can fill this absence I feel in my life… Except you.

One thing is certain, though; I will always have a place for you in my heart. No matter will life take me, I always will think of my seven years spent with you. Not one thing can change that short amount of time, nor will I ever regret any of it. Glass is fragile, yet so are people. We must cherish our time with them, for we never know how long we will have.

To my beloved grandpa, you may be gone, but never will you be forgotten. Your memory lives on as I see your traits shine through my aunts and uncles. If it were not for them, I would have little to no memory of you. Thank you for the good times. I will love and miss you, always.

Love always,

Your granddaughter