To The Little Brothers Who Are About To Start Freshman Year, Listen Up

Have fun, be smart, safe and enjoy your time while it lasts, because before you know it, it will be done.

26

To my brother and all incoming freshman,

I hope you're ready for the time of your life. From football games, pep-rallies, spirit week/night, homecoming (which they still don't have a dance for, I am pretty sure), state championships, and half priced apps at Applebee's, to sweet sixteens, quinceanera's, winter balls, proms and even your first serious relationship.

Don't forget you're going to be getting your license, and watching your friends get theirs too. Then you'll be driving your car all around town to grab your friends at 7 a.m., just so you can get Dunkin, park in the lot outside of the stairs and still manage to be minutes past the 7:35 bell.

Then you'll, of course, get sent to the office to sign in late. So now while they're sending you to the office, they're telling you to throw out that coffee that you just bought. You'll definitely get annoyed, but throw it out anyway, then continue to get another one every single day until you graduate because, to be honest, it's just the thing to do.

Now in order to support your $3 trash can habit in the morning, you're gonna start applying for, and then finally find your first job, which you will use to help support your eating (Applebee's/DD) and driving habits.

Now here are some warnings that I think you need to know. Seeing your first report card is a little shocking, especially when you don't even know that it gets mailed home and your parents already saw it, so here's hoping Q1 went well.

Every quarter after that you'll be sure to be home as soon as the mail arrives so you can see it before they do.

They also are gonna put you into the very tight auditorium for many of assemblies throughout the years, so just be aware that these assemblies may not be what you're trying to deal with after lunch for the last two periods of the day, but most of the time it's just easier to listen.

The classes will be hard there's no doubt about it, but it will all be worth it when you start passing really hard exams.

Now do not get me wrong, there will be a time when you fail an exam and it will probably be the one you insisted was so easy, you didn't even need to study for it (i.e. Western Civ midterm). The extra credit opportunities are a rare opportunity, so when you get them realize that they are boring but will definitely pay off, so just get it done.

Now field trips will be another rare option, but are definitely something you want to do (even if it sounds boring), because most of the time, they end up so fun and it's kind of cool to see your teacher outside of his/her element. Things like, rock climbing and trampoline parks are what P.E. offers (they only take so many students, so get your friends to hand in the slip asap).

While trips to an off broadway show will be offered by your English class. I can't forget physics, they go to Six Flags... for some physics day program they offer, you do a worksheet on how roller coasters work, then ride on them so you can experience how it all actually works. I would say to definitely go on this one because I didn't and I still regret that.

Now another thing I regret missing was as a junior and senior they offer student government day, which is two days when everybody has a chance to try out a town related job.

Basically, you run for a role (they give you a list from town to school related jobs), then everyone goes to the library to vote (just as if you're voting in real life they have a machine and everything). They announce who wins on the intercom one afternoon, then you basically go to do that job with the person who actually does it for two days.

Another thing that you will appreciate about senior year is all of the fun events you can take part in finally. Senior night for sports, where all seniors are escorted by their parents onto the field/court/etc. and given flowers. At winter ball your senior year they will announce the long waited senior superlatives.

Now don't worry, you definitely have best hair and class comedian in the bag! The other senior night, when all of your class gathers at the high school for food, music and fun times (plus you get to sign yearbooks).

You will have senior prom and senior post prom which they say no one goes to but usually if you get a group of your friends to go, it is well worth it.

You will also be applying to colleges, figuring out your major and what you want to do with your life.

You are going to meet a ton of new people, including new faculty, staff, even students who you did not even know existed.

You will start making friends, losing friends and find a group where you truly belong for the time being.

You may join clubs or sports where you will see self-improvement and sometimes failure.

You will meet that teacher, the one who makes you realize that you feel like you have a purpose and that you do belong.

As you continue through the years, you will realize that this type of teacher, though rarely is common at NPHS. They are filled up and down every department and hallway, so just open your eyes and your heart, and be wiling to listen.

Some of the stories your teachers share are going to be long and boring, but they will truly be filled with knowledge. There will be outside of school events that you will see your entire class at, like concerts (i.e. Life In Color), and it's at that exact moment that you realize that all of these people are just like you.

These people just want to belong and have a purpose in life, as do you. So be nice, treat everyone how you would want to be treated. Make friends, not enemies. If people hate you, then they hate you. Just ignore it because most of the time it is just a phase and they need someone to take their aggression out on

You probably didn't even do anything wrong and by senior year, you guys may have even worked it out and ended up friends. When you're walking down the awful double locker hallway, that has way too many people stuffed into it, smile.

I am telling you, just throw a smile out there, because to you, it may seem stupid, but to the person who sees it, you could make their awful day just a little bit better. Show respect to the teachers, staff and admin because they will make your experience great if you do.

Love,

The girl who learned it already