A Letter To My Best Friend Who Transferred

You can come back any time now.

594

Dear best friend who transferred,

The day I met you I knew that we would be friends for life. You are the type of person that is so welcoming to all the new people you meet, and meeting me was no different. We instantly hit it off and you immediately became one of my favorite friends. College is a really scary time and because I had you, it was a little easier getting used to it. I always knew if I needed to call someone in the middle of the night that you would be the one I could count on to answer, and you always did. They always said that you would find that one friend in college that you can be an absolute idiot with, and you have always been that person with me. Between all the crazy games I would make you play and all the times you would say, "I need you to come with me somewhere but I'm not telling you where until we get there," you've made an incredibly enormous mark on my heart. You are the type of friend that people go to college and hope to find.

First off, I want to tell you that I still hate you for leaving me and I totally wish you never laid the news on me that you wanted to switch universities. Just kidding...I could never hate you, but c'mon. I understand exactly why you decided to leave, and although it was hard for me to come to terms with the fact that you weren't going to be just ten minutes down the street, I hope you know how proud of you I am for your decision. I know that you thought that this school was the best for you, but you've grown so much and you've recognized that there are bigger and better things for you out there. Let me tell you, it's a pretty great thing to see your best friend kick butt at what she's doing.

Next, I want you to promise that you will touch as many lives as possible at your new university. You are a golden person. You have the ability to be anyone you want. This is exactly where you need to be so take that and run with it. You have the world at your fingertips! I hope you make new best friends that lead you to be the best you that you've ever imagined becoming. I hope that you make as many memories with your new friends there that you did with me and all the rest of us here. I want this to be the best thing that has ever happened to you. It's really going to suck not being able to be there with you for all the crazy times you have headed your way, but I'm so glad that I got you to myself while I did!

Lastly, I hope you never forget that while we may be more miles apart, I will be there for you in the same way I always have. It's safe to say that there has been some pretty rough things happen to us in the past year, but you've always been one of my biggest crutches and I've always been yours. You will make friends that are going to be able to help you more than I can, and I am so thankful for that. I may not be crashing on your couch and having pizza nights as often, but I will be there to help you, console you, and cheer you on through all your new experiences.

Love,

Your best friend from your old university.