A Letter To Heartbreak, Hardships, & Hurt

This is a letter to simply say... thank you.

56
Jolene Hanson

Often times in life we wish we could go back to our younger days.

Back to the times when all we had to worry about was how long our parents would let us play out in sprinklers before they made us come back inside, or if we woke up early enough to watch our favorite Saturday morning cartoon.

Back before the heartbreak, hardships, and hurt.

If I were to truly scrape away every single earthly disappointment or pain that I've ever experienced and instead replace it with something positive, then I would be scraping away a huge part of me.

If I were to rewind the clock back a few years prior to any major hurt I've experienced, I'm not entirely sure I would recognize myself.

Yes, I would look the exact same, but my perspective on life would be entirely different.

So here is a thank you letter to all hardships I've experienced, thus far in life.

Thank you for helping me realize how mentally strong I am.

All the years of track and cross country (all mental sports) were simply preparing me for my future hardships.

I overcame situations and illnesses that at the time seemed impenetrable. Instead of letting my situation consume me, I transformed it into something bearable through my actions and positive thinking.

Thanks to you I know that if future trials come to me I will not be overtaken, I will make it through triumphantly.

Thank you showing me who is in my life for the long haul.

I think its safe to say that we've all been in situations where we were relying on someone to be there for us when we needed them the most, only to look around and see nothing but our own shadow.

Because of this, the people currently in my life are the ones I know will still be there 20, 30, and even 50 years from now.

You've helped me find my "friends for life" and i'm forever grateful for that.

Thank you for giving me a sense of reality.

Not only have I learned to appreciate each day as it comes, but I can more clearly see what I want out of life, and why I deserve it.

I've realized that a life without pain is impossible, but the way we deal with it is our choice.

No longer do I take for granted the days that I wake up healthy, nor every laugh or smile I share with a loved one.

You've pulled my head out of the clouds, and I cant thank you enough for that.

Thank you for bringing me closer to the things that matter in life.

In times of suffering when I became weak, my relationships with my God, friends, family, and loved ones only became stronger.

When I felt like a boat being tossed out in the ocean, they were the lighthouse keeping me at bay.

So the next time that pain knocks on your door, take a deep breath and answer back saying "Come in, sit down. And don't leave until you've taught me what I need to know".

Because let me tell ya, you'll learn far more than you could ever imagine.