Grandma Isn't Allowed To Leave Anytime Soon, Sorry Not Sorry

When you get the scare that you might lose those closest to you, hold them tighter than ever before.

1005
girl and her grandma
Personal Picture

A few weeks ago my grandma gave me one of the biggest scares so far in my life. She went in for a heart cath and ended up having open heart surgery.

The day my dad texted and called me to get to the hospital as soon as I can be probably the worst text and call I could've ever gotten. I honestly thought my whole world was ending. When I say that my grandma is my rock she is my rock.

From the time I was about six weeks old until I started playing high school sports my grandma had me from Saturday evenings until Sunday afternoons. She would carry me to church, buy me toys, and when I got too old for toys she would buy me clothes. I have never hurt for anything in life and she's one of the main reason and I'm beyond grateful for her and for that reason.

You can say she basically raised me in church and that's because she did. At the age of 10, I was baptized and it was the best decision I ever made.

You know the times you feel like you should do something, but you don't? The week before my grandma's surgery I was five minutes away and knew I should've gone to see her but I didn't.

When I got the call she was having that surgery I felt awful. At that moment I thought she was going to leave me. I know people say you can't have regrets and that everyone has to leave us at some point and while I believe that at 21 I'm not ready for her to leave me anytime soon.

My whole life I have seen my grandma be one of the most selfless persons I have ever met. No matter how bad she feels she will put others people's needs before her own. That is one reason she can't leave yet. She has to continue to show me how to put my selfishness aside.

Another reason she cannot leave is that I need her to continue to teach me how to be a good wife one day. Now I'm nowhere near ready to get married, but the day I am I'm going to need her more than anything to help me get through it and not lose my cool.

The final reason is that I'm going to need her there the day I bring her great-grandchild into the world. I need her to be there to see them. I need her to help me show them the right way. I need her to help me to continue to grow.

So grandma when you read this just know you're not leaving me until you fulfill those three things. I love you with all my heart and if you left me right now I'd be a basket case. Like I told you the day of your surgery God and I talked about how you haven't seen me fulfill my dreams and he can't take you until you do, and of course, he told me he agreed.

I know at some point you will have to leave, but that's not now. All of you with grandparents and especially angellike grandmas don't take them for granted. Don't be five minutes away and not go see them. Go see them and love on them every chance you get. I know I will mine.