A Letter To Incoming Freshmen

A Letter To Incoming Freshmen

And so the adventure begins.

4
A Letter To Incoming Freshmen

With August just a month away, many students are starting to prepare for the upcoming semester. Whether it’s buying dorm stuff, school supplies, or freaking out over what comes next….the beginning of the semester is just around the corner. Here are some words to the wise for the incoming freshmen.

1. Don’t pack your house.

I know as you prepare to move into a dorm, you tend to want to pack everything insight. This was my biggest struggle my freshman year. I decided to pack every single article of clothing from my closet, and it simply did not all fit. Pack the necessities, and if you go home on the weekend, you can always bring back what is needed.

2. It's okay to call mom.

Beginning your college experience can be an emotional experience. Sometimes, all you need to do is call mom. She can calm you down, and listen to everything that is on your mind. Just because you are in college, doesn't mean you cannot call mom. She misses you too.

3. Be social.

I remember after move in day, we had tons of meetings and events that we were required to attend. I also remember being super nervous because I did not really know anyone. I had to learn to step out of my comfort zone and talk to people. I can honestly say, some of the very first friends I made at college were from move in week. So speak!

4. Get involved.

During the first week of school, tons of organizations hold interest meetings and events. Please go. Whether it’s getting involved in SGA, going Greek, signing up to help with campus events, or joining a club, get involved. You get to know more people on campus, and you know what’s happening on campus for the upcoming semester before anyone else.

5. Become familiar with your new home.

Whenever you have spare time, go off campus and become familiar with your new home. Get to know where all the restaurants and stores are…..and even the nearest Steak and Shake. Becoming familiar with your new home is a must. Who knows, you might discover things about your college that you didn’t even know.

6. Go to class.

I know the first week can seem stressful, and you will be exhausted, but please go to class. Not every professor puts notes and PowerPoints online, and you could miss very valuable information. Also get to know your professors. They are here to help guide you through your college journey.

7. Relax and remember to have fun

When they say the first year flies by, they are not kidding. Enjoy every second. These next four years will definitely be some of the best years of your life. You will make friends for a lifetime and life-long memories. Relax, and remember to have fun!

College is the new chapter of your life. You will remember these days and memories for years to come. Remember to do your best, and always have faith in yourself. You are going to do great!