A letter to the person who suffers from SAD

You aren't crazy for hating fall and winter.

232
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/09/25/6364196623576550381974583510_Sad-Boy.jpg

Fall/winter is around the corner, and that means colder weather and shorter days. If you're someone who suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder like me, know you aren't alone, and you aren't crazy. Seasonal Affective Disorder can be a battle, especially if you suffer from another mental illness. Seasonal Affective Disorder can happen during any season. Mine happens to come during the fall/winter season. The fact that is dark out at 4:30 causes me great anxiety, and I feel as if my whole day is gone.

A lot of people take SAD as a joke, but they shouldn't. I suffer from anxiety too, as anyone who reads my articles has come to known. So anyone that suffers from any kind of depression and anxiety knows how hard it is living with both. Even though mine happens to be seasonal, it doesn't make it any easier. The easiest way to describe it is not wanting to get out of bed but having anxiety over missing school or work. You feel as if you're being pulled two different ways. It's truly a struggle.

Other symptoms of SAD include social withdrawal, weight gain or loss, fatigue, and sleeping a lot. A lot of these symptoms are similar to depression. SAD is more common in the fall/winter months, and that transition can prove to be tough for anyone who dreads it. Those, like me, who struggle with SAD, should come up with a plan to make the transition easier. Let's not struggle this fall/winter and enjoy the beautiful things it brings.

Some easy ways to help push through SAD can be as simple as getting a light therapy box. This box omits vitamin D that we would be otherwise missing from the sun during these months. Just using it an hour or two a day has proven to help tremendously. Tell your friends what's going on so they can help you with this struggle. Let them know how you feel because if they know what to look for they can help you. I noticed when I push myself to go out I feel better. It's just having that extra push to do it. Find healthy outlets to help you deal with the winter, like going to the gym, or doing other hobbies you enjoy.

Don't be ashamed of having SAD; like I said, you aren't crazy for hating winter, many people suffer from it. If you know someone who suffers from it educate yourself so you can help them! Sometimes something as small as dragging them out helps a lot, trust me. Keep their mind busy and assure them they aren't alone. I'll always say this with my mental health articles too. We're warriors for having to battle our minds daily. You can push through it. Mental health is an everyday struggle, but you're stronger than you think.