A Letter To The Old Me

A Letter To The Old Me

Though you were not my favorite, thank you.

14
A Letter To The Old Me

Dear Old Me,

You were such a young, naive girl that was self-absorbed, a girl that conformed to the world, and a girl that was just down right evil. I hated you. Harsh? I know, but it is the truth. You caused so much unhappiness and pain in your life, that was 100 percent your own fault. Why? It’s simple, you were selfish. You only cared about yourself and nothing else.

I made a list of some things that ticked me off about you. Here they are.

I hated the way you over thought every single little thing. How were you supposed to enjoy life if you just sat in the back analyzing every little detail of what could happen.

I hated the way you treated your parents. The only two people who truly loved you during this time of your life, when you were trying to find yourself and your group of friends.

I hated the way you treated the people that cared about you. While you were out there searching for all these wannabe friends, acquaintances, and lovers, that had certain impossible criteria to meet, you were ditching your best friends and some of the best people you’ll ever meet. You were too worried about your social status.

I hated the way you acted. You had the worst attitude. If you weren’t in a good mood, you made sure people knew and eventually brought everyone’s mood down. I’m embarrassed of the way you carried yourself in tough situations. Crumbling during the smallest of things, you were so overdramatic. When things just weren’t going your way, you had to let everyone know. You were fueled by other’s pity. And that my friend is pathetic.

But the one thing I hated the most about you, was the way you treated God. The way you put him on the back burner, because He would “always be there” or “He’s not going anywhere”. Now that is no way to treat the one who died and gave it all for you, is it? The way you had zero faith in anything. I’ve learned even if you have just a little bit of faith, it’ll go a long way.

Thank you. Though you were not my favorite, you taught me life lessons that are valuable to me and shaped the road that got me to where I currently am today. Because of you I seize every opportunity, I accept all others, I laugh a little louder (even if it’s not that funny), and I squeeze my mama and daddy a little tighter. But most importantly you taught me to ensure all faith in God, and for that I am forever thankful. Now, sure I’m still going to have an attitude occasionally, I’m going to have those days where it’s hard to find the good; I’m not perfect. I'm going to slip up but all I have to do is just think about you. You motivate me to be a better person. Thank you.

Sincerely,

The new me