A Letter To The Men That Objectify My Body

Ever since I was a little girl my life has revolved around you. The clothes that I wear, the way that I wear my hair- all so that a man like you will keep walking. I cover up so a man like you has to really think about his actions before he steps to me. Unlike you, I am not able to wear whatever I want and feel comfortable in my skin, because a man like you deteriorates my very existence from the time that I am born. I came into this world with ambitions, but I lead a life full of fear because men like you do not know how to keep their hands to themselves. They do not know what the word "no" means. They do not know how to appropriately act when someone turns down their advances.

Men like you take advantage of girls like me. First you tell me that I need to cover up because I look like a whore or that I am asking for it. Then, you tell me that I need to show skin, because I look like a prude. It is not right to dictate what a woman wears. A lady cannot fit into this box that you want her in and she cannot be molded. I will not be molded, because men like you do not control me.

Do not ask me to straighten my hair so you have something to pull on. Do not ask me to wear makeup so that I look presentable, because I am supposed to be honored to stand by you. Do not ask me to wear a shorter skirt or dress for easier access so that you can do to my body what you wish.

Look beyond who I am on the outside and dig deep into my brain, because a woman is more than her parts. She is more than the breasts that sit on her chest and the lipstick that she buys so that you take a second look. She is more than her curly hair and tiny waist. A woman is more than her curves and dainty hands. A woman is a human being. She is a human being that should be treated with the upmost respect, because she goes through a lot. She gives life, she lives life, and she is life. A woman is not your object. She is a person.

So the next time that a girl does not want you grinding on her, do not take that as an insult. Kindly walk away and apologize, do not stab her to death. The next time a girl keeps walking when you are cat calling her, stop and realize that she has somewhere to be. Do not chase her down the street and continue to harass her.

If you are uncomfortable when another man, who you are not attracted to, calls you beautiful and says that you look nice, then you should be able to understand why I am uncomfortable to walk out of my house when you gun down my sisters in cold blood, because they were uncomfortable and you took it as a threat. My body is not entitled to you. Whether I am married to you, engaged, or we are just friends, you have no claim to me. Your opinion is welcome, but will most likely not be taken.

Sincerely,

A Girl Who Would Like To Be Viewed For More Than Her Looks