A Letter To Me, As The First Year Of College Comes To An End

The first year is over, and it's okay to be in total denial

36

To the student who didn't pay attention to where the time went,

I got wrapped up in things, and all of a sudden the year is gone. Move in day seemed to be yesterday and now I'm in finals week. And I've never wished for a group of exams to not happen more than I do right now. Today I switched my major again to become what I told myself I didn't really want to become because it is not as successful as what I came into college planning on doing. Today I dropped a class because I realized I don't want to spend any more time or any more money doing what I don't want to do. The first year of college changed who I was, who I am, and who I want to become.

I met some of the best people that I didn't even know I needed in my life in this year. The funny thing is that you can come to college and become whoever you want to be, and I tried to do that. In the beginning of the year I started as someone I thought I wanted to be, and the friends that I made in those couple weeks did not stay long. When I got so caught up in work and when the curriculum really picked up is when I stopped trying to be who I wanted to be, and that's when I started becoming who I am right now. I am so grateful for the friends that I've made, and the people that I've known for seven short months are just as important as my two best friends of seven years.

The difference between going into the first year of college is that I designed a major and a career path based off of what sounds best, and now I'm finishing it as someone who can truly be happy with what I plan on doing for the rest of my life (and it still might change, who knows).

I couldn't be happier that I didn't bury myself in my work, and while I got it done, I made new memories with new people. And even though there are many more late nights and many more cups of coffee, and energy drinks than I thought, I am still determined to get a degree in what I want to do.

I know that real life kicks everyone in the ass, and it's especially hard when you're trying to manage to keep up with school work when the things that you just completely aren't comfortable talking to people with, that happens. But if and when it happens again, it will pass.

Also, never, ever, ever, do another semester with an 8 AM everyday. I know you thought you could do it because you did it in high school, but this isn't high school, you like this a lot more.

People that you thought you would never lose touch with in high school will eventually dissipate, and that's okay, you know who is still by your side.

There are still going to be times where everything is going to be a little too overwhelming, and everything you've had planned will be gone in an instant.

It's all going to work out.

I know that the first year went by way too fast and that these are supposed to be the best years of my life.

It's not over, stop freaking out.

Sincerely,

The student who's still not sure what they're doing with their life