Saying Goodbye To My Roommates

Saying Goodbye To My Roommates

This is goodbye for more than a summer, but it is not goodbye forever.

84
Saying Goodbye To My Roommates
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma8o6mQQFP1ryfjs3o4_250.gif

Hello girls,

So yeah ... not much longer now ... two weeks maybe? To be honest, I really do not know what to say. If I started explaining how our dorm was responsible for at least half of my funny freshmen memories, this article would go on forever. If I started explaining what you girls meant to me for not just my first year of college, but to me as a person, I wouldn't shut up either.

I want this goodbye to mean something because when these last couple weeks are over, and we pack up to go home, next year, we won't be in the same room. This goodbye is not just a summer long like roommates are staying together ... it's something more. So here I go.

Four girls randomly placed in a suite to share a bathroom seems like the plot for horror movie. That's what I thought when learning that I would not just have one roommate. More work, more ideas, more ways to get into a fight with more people. It scared me to be honest. And when I was assigned to you guys, I honestly didn't know if it would work out since I had heard some pretty horrid tales. However, I tried to be as involved in our Facebook chat as possible, putting myself out there to buy the micro fridge, since I wanted you all to think that I was nice. Yeah, I was awkward.

And on move-in day, we all hugged and met each other's families, making jokes over where we would fit our stuff. I remember asking if I could have a certain desk, fearing that one of you would say no, but that didn't happen. We were all nice to each other the first day, trying to figure out how each other work.

Then the second day came, where I walked into the common room to see we were rearranging our furniture. Somehow, the small talk turned into jokes on Chinese lobsters, and it was pretty much a done deal from there. I realized that even though there was an awkward band geek, a girl with the best fashion sense I've ever seen, a cheerleader/engineering major, and an Oscar bound actress (especially after her first play performance), we were all ... goofs.

Between late nights of making stupid jokes and eating pizza, yelling at noises made while eating Chipotle, borrowing clothes, talking about boys, stressing over classes, and finding a way to share the same bathroom, we all became very close. I wanted to keep our relationship going, and keep living together the next three years.

See, when roommates decide not to live together, usually, they may not get along, or they may have other friends they prefer more than each other. Our situation was just ... it was just the way things work.

An applicant for RA, our dorms for next year housing six while there were seven girls in the friend group, and for the housing there were three perfect groups of two that I wasn't in.

To be honest, I had never felt more angry in my life. I was ashamed that I thought that the four of us were real friends, and I wondered if it was all a lie. I was paranoid. I hated that RA application, and the neighbors taking two of you away. I felt so thrown out ... until I realized that you guys felt bad too.

It was just how things turned out, and when I finally gained a home with our other neighbors, the waters settled. I realized that I could not be mad because even though we would not be roommates next year, all of us still wanted to be friends. So we have made these last couple months as fun as we could, and we finally got tapestry, but soon ... the year will be over.

Don't worry, I will say goodbye when the day finally comes, but here is the less emotional one.

Goodbye for more than a summer. Goodbye to my roommates. Hello to my friends. You have made my freshman year one of the greatest experiences of my life. You have let me cry with no judgement, and you have made me laugh with naming the hairballs we found throughout the room. Thank you for eating chocolate with me after Zumba classes. Thank you for trusting me enough to cry in front of me, and telling me secrets — I promise no one will ever know. Thank you for the fashion shows we put on while trying on each other's clothes on Saturday nights. Thank you for no fights and the chance at letting me speak my mind.

We all were there for each other with no hidden agendas. What was needed to stay in our room, never left our walls. We had some good times, some awkward times, some sad times...but do not think that saying goodbye is a sad time. I am not letting you guys get away from me that easily. Expect many knocks on your doors, me sleeping on your couches and you guys sleeping on mine. Expect ugly snapchats daily. Expect me not to leave you when you are hurt ... you guys never left me.

Expect for us to be friends for as long as we can. And if we fade, we fade. But we won't fade easily.

And who knows, maybe one day we will say hello to each other as roommates again. That dorm will be the liveliest place on earth, I bet. But let us allow the world to take us all in different directions and see if we find ourselves sharing the same bathroom again. Or having the same classes. Or somehow staying together after college. Our future has so many possibilities, but all I know is that is was one hell of a ride to live with you all, and I hope we stay in each other's lives.

Until next year where we see each other as friends, I say goodbye to you as roommates with a smile for all the whimsical memories we shared. I will never regret them but cherish them.

Thank you all and goodbye. For now.

Love,

whatever nickname you guys made up for me.