A Letter To My Random Roommate Turned Best Friend

Some friends become roommates. Some roommates become friends.
48

So here we are as college seniors. Whoa, where did the time go?! It feels like yesterday you walked into Honors 251 and we met for the first time. That sounds like the start of a love story. It kind of is! First off, I just want to thank you for being the best roommate I have ever had, for all the laughs, insides jokes, and boy advice a girl could ask for. The craziest part is that we went from not knowing each other to being so close. We got even closer after we had to part our roommate-ing ways. I am not sure about random roommate statistics, but I feel like we beat the odds. We are the exception, not the rule.

I just keep thinking about the fact that we were randomly matched up and such the perfect pair. I didn’t think we had a lot in common, but that didn’t stop me from getting to know you or wanting to do so. I think us both having relationships with Christ really helped as well. I have no doubt that God gave me you for a reason. I guess all I am really trying to say is THANK YOU!

Thank you for being the best study buddy. Whether it was studying in our dorm, in a random building, or in the basement of library in the really hot room or when we didn’t see sunlight for a whole day, we always could be productive. Maybe there was the time we played the cup song all afternoon... Thanks for also taking breaks with me, whether it was ice skating, going to buy food, or going to a soccer game. Thanks for helping me laugh when times got tough. You got to see everything I ruined my freshman year: the hair dryer, the sweater, the jacket…just to name a few. You made me laugh about it instead of allowing me to cry over something so stupid. But thanks for crying with me over more important things. I will leave that one alone. Thank you for giving me and being a part of some of my best college stories: medication, appendages in the mail, all of our random lunch companions, and chasing after the college shuttle in the freezing cold. Thank you for going on more dates than I ever have with boys in real life. Thank you for laughing with me every day, especially at not funny things or very funny things. Thank you for being a person that made me feel okay that my freshman year wasn’t that great. Thank you for being my first college friend and not one of those ones that goes away (remember Matt from orientation?) You’re the real MVP. And thank you for being my roommate after we couldn’t be roommates. That one time you came and ate pizza with me because boys are lame was the best!

The truth is my college experience was far from typical, but you helped make it so amazing! You made my transition to college easy. You made my freshman year unforgettable. There is no one I would have rather ate ice cream with three times a day and gained the freshman 15 with.

When it comes down to it, I would have never imagined a random rooming situation could turn into something so wonderful! There are so many times as a senior I wish I could go back to the days of eating chicken nuggets and mac n cheese while watching 8 Simple Rules with you. Seriously, thank you for everything! I couldn’t have done it without you!

Love,

Your Random Roommate Turned Best Friend