A Letter Of Encouragement For Chiari Warriors

Life has so much in store for you.

244
Britni Smith

I understand your pain. I understand your embarrassment. I understand your frustration. I understand your fear. But now I need you to understand something. You are bigger than all of these feelings. Your pain, your fear, your restrictions… they are temporary. They do not define you.

You and I are fearfully and wonderfully made. Every single fiber of our beings were knit together by the God of the universe. The same God who formed the raging seas and highest mountains. He chose to create you and me. And He knit us together perfectly according to His plan which is also perfect. As John 13:7 says, “Jesus replied, ‘You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.’”

I have learned so much from living with Chiari Malformation. I’ve learned that no matter how bad the pain (or situation), it will get better. I promise you. I’ve learned that I’m not as strong as I thought I was. But that’s okay, because I don’t have to be. And neither do you. We belong to a God who loves us and who wants the best for us. He will never leave or forsake us. God works through our suffering and uses it all for His good. He is with us wherever we go, and He is making us stronger every day. You and I cannot make it through this life without the love and mercy of God.

When my pain first began, it was devastating. I didn’t understand any of it. Why me? I’m young. I’m an athlete. I have a lot of life left to live. Seven years later and those questions still enter into my mind. I could have done so much more. I could have been a part of so much more. I could have accomplished so much.

But I still can. And so can you.

We do not have to stop living our lives because of a few temporary setbacks and bad blows. God made us for a specific purpose, and nothing can get in the way of His plan. No pain. No fear. Absolutely nothing. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” Romans 8:38-39.

I still have pain every now and then. I still get frustrated by my limitations. But I’m not going to let these temporary circumstances ruin my life. And neither can you. Our time on this Earth is so, so short. It is to our advantage to make the best out of every moment, good or bad, painful or beautiful. Our circumstances might change our plans, but God’s plans are constant. “You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed” Psalms 139:16. Our God is the ultimate healer, and our prayers are His instruments for healing. I will forever believe that.