A Letter To My Niece As She Grows Up

A Letter To My Niece As She Grows Up

You are so innocent and precious and I want to protect you from the cruelty in this world.

1300
A Letter To My Niece As She Grows Up
Megan Bradley

To my little angel,

Three months. That’s how old you are. Only three months. You have so much time in this world to grow and learn. You have a full lifetime ahead of you. You are sweet, innocent, and pure, and I want to protect you from the evils in the world; I want you to have the best possible life.

A lot can happen while growing up that you are not aware of. Heartbreaks, deaths, tragedies, they can all happen and take a toll on you. With this being said, I want to give you advice that you can take with you for when you are older. Some advice that will make the hard times better, some that will open your eyes, and some that will serve as reminders.

1. Always tell your mother you love her.

Your mom, my sister, is a wonderful woman. Growing up, children and teenagers do not always see how much their mother does for them. I can tell you from first-hand experience that your mother loves you to no end and will always do anything for you. When you get in an argument with her, don’t let it drag on overnight; apologize to her and tell her you love her - it will mean more to her than you know. Remember, she is always there for you through your ups and downs and she will love you unconditionally for the rest of your life.

2. Do not be afraid to shoot for the stars.

Failure is something that happens naturally. Not everyone can be good at everything they do. Do not let negativity stop you from reaching your goal. Most importantly do not let someone tell you that you can’t accomplish something; prove him or her wrong. If you get cut from a sports team or get cut from the audition, learn from it. Everything happens for a reason. It does not mean that you should stop trying to reach your goals. Anything is possible little one.

3. Everybody makes mistakes.

It’s true nobody is perfect. You can’t always be right or do the right thing. It’s okay if you accidently break your mom’s platter. Life happens, mistakes happen. Do not be too hard on yourself. If you do not study for a test and fail it, it truly is okay. Learn from your mistakes and I guaranteed it will make you a better person.

4. Every day is a blessing.

Even your worst days are better than someone’s best days. If you are having the worst day of your life, think about how lucky you are to have a family that loves you, one that some people do not have. Tragedies can happen in the blink of an eye, so it is important to appreciate every day. And always remember that even your worst days are only 24 hours long.

5. Never let a boy treat you poorly.

Your mom and I have been there and done that. We have both been through boys that didn’t appreciate us, or boys that treated us poorly. I am here to remind you that it is not okay. You are going to grow up to be a beautiful girl with a bubbly personality and a golden heart. You do not need a boy that doesn’t realize what he has. You are going to stand up for yourself and never settle for less than your best. If one boy doesn’t treat you right it’s okay, because the next one will. You need to realize your worth and find someone who treats you better than you can imagine because you will always deserve that.

6. You’ll lose friends, you’ll gain friends, but your true friends will stick around.

Losing friends is a hard pill to swallow. It is painful and confusing, and it is never at the right time. I want you to know that people change and go their separate paths, but your true friends will stay with you forever. Just because you drift apart from one friend does not mean you’ll drift apart from everyone else. You will always be loved and will always be making new connections with people. Life is too short to be upset over one person.

7. Life is too short to be anything but happy.

Yes, that means exactly what it says. Life is a short, gentle gift that we must learn to appreciate. Think about all the simple pleasures in life, or the fact that every morning and night you are waking up to and going to bed to a family that loves you. There are so many little things in life that should remind you of happiness. Plus, it takes more energy to frown than smile.

8. You will always be your daddy’s little girl.

As you grow up, always remember that your dad was and always will be your first love. Your dad held you, rocked you to sleep, and saw all your ‘firsts’ as a baby. He provided food for you, read books to you, and loved you every day of your life. With this being said, you will always be his little girl and that is something to be proud of and something to cherish.

9. Challenge yourself.

Don’t be afraid to go the extra mile. Take more honors classes, do more extra-curricular activities, push yourself. Challenging yourself will teach you more about yourself than anything ever could. Do not limit yourself; always believe you can do it, and you will.

10. Family is first.

Your family should always be your first priority in life. They will be the ones that are always there for you, supporting you, holding you, and celebrating with you. They will never leave your side and most importantly they will always love you.

I cannot wait to watch you grow up into a beautiful young lady. Thank you for being a part of my world.

Love,

Your aunt, who loves you very much