An Open Letter To My Little Sister

An Open Letter To My Little Sister

You're my best friend.

16
An Open Letter To My Little Sister
Julia Burke

To my little sister/BFF,

Nothing compares to the day that you were born. Our parents brought you home and you peered at me with your big, beautiful, sparkling blue eyes. I held you with your soft, mushy skin, and from that moment, I knew I was going to love you forever. Since then, we have been best friends and have gone through everything together. When everyone else fails on me, you’re still there, and you remind me that I’m not alone in this harsh world; you are my rock. There are an infinite number of reasons I love you, but below I’ve listed just 10.

1. You're my number one fan.

It means the world to me that you have supported and defended me no matter what. You have always been in the crowd for me, cheering me on. At basketball games, you always fought for me and questioned why I got taken out of the game because you claimed that I was playing so well. When I sang at the talent show, you were furious that I didn’t win because you thought it was so evident that I was the best act there. You’ve been such a solid supporter throughout the years.

2. You get my sense of humor like no other.

When no one else laughs at my jokes, you’re always right there finding them absolutely hilarious. I can always show you a video I find funny, and I know that you’ll laugh at it just as much as I did. We have thousands of inside jokes that are completely corny and make no sense to anyone else, but that’s what makes them so special.

3. You know how to comfort me when I'm sad.

When I’m upset, you cuddle me in your arms and give me the best advice that makes me feel so much better. I can tell you anything that is bothering me, and you’ll listen to it all and be so caring and considerate. You always can make me laugh even when I’m sadder than I’ve ever been, and I just couldn’t ask for a better friend to have in my lowest moments.

4. You have the same taste in music as me.

We have both memorized every single lyric and guitar solo in every Taylor Swift song in existence because we agree she is a songwriting genius and the best thing to ever happen to us. Our idea of a perfect night is locking ourselves in my bedroom, and losing our voices jamming out to every one of her songs from her five albums. And let’s not forget the post-concert depression that we both suffered from for months after the One Direction concert; everyone else thought I lost my mind, and only you understood the true pain I felt.

5. You never stay mad at me.

When we get into fights, we either end up laughing at one another’s comebacks, or we can’t keep a straight face no matter how hard we try. We can’t take each other seriously when we fight, and if we do, about two minutes after our “fight,” we are completely over it, and in love again.

6. You can be brutally honest with me, and I'll take your word for it.

Sometimes when people tell me the hard truth, I get offended but when you do, I know that you’re looking out for my best interests, and that I can trust you. I know that you want me to be happy and that you genuinely care about me, and it’s such a great feeling that I have someone I can depend on so much.

7. You share your clothes with me.

Most sisters have major fights about sharing clothes, but what’s great about our relationship is that we always share clothes without a problem. It’s so nice to have two closets and so many options. Also, we’re always willing to help each other put together a stellar outfit, which is always a good time. I honestly don’t know what I would do without your clothes or your fashion advice.

8. You're just as weird as me.

We literally act so weird around each other, and it’s so much fun. I couldn’t act the way I act with you with anyone else; our relationship is one-of-a-kind. We literally do and say the strangest, craziest things together and never judge one another. And of course we always make the best memories acting like lunatics. It’s always lit.

9. You know me better than I know myself.

You literally know everything about me and don’t need me to tell you when I’m upset, or angry — you just know. You know my favorite cereal, everything I dream to be and what I’m self-conscious about; you know everything about me. You know the real me, inside and out, and continue to love me for being exactly who I am which makes me #blessed.

10. We go way back.

I’ve known you since the day you were born, and that’s something pretty special. You’ll never understand how grateful I am to have you. I love you so much!

Love always,

Your big sister/BFF