A Letter To My High School Friends

A Letter To My High School Friends

20
A Letter To My High School Friends
Allie Tracy

Dear high school friends,

Whether we've spoken in the past two days or not even once in the past four months, you deserve a thank you. Even though some of you are pros at this college thing now (Back Row Crew, I'm talking about you), or still trying to make it through freshman year, we've all come a long way since we walked through the halls of our little high school.

Thank you for teaching me what true friends are. No matter how far away we are now, how long it's been since we've spoken or what happened between us, I learned what a true friend is because of you.

Freshman year friends taught me that friends should be honest with each other, and that guys really aren't more important than friendships. Some people chose their boyfriend over our friendship, but that helped me realize I didn't want to be that kind of girl.

Sophomore year, also known as the Back Row Crew, taught me how to be myself, and how to not care what others thought. Thank you for helping me make it through chemistry, fake friends and teaching me how beach trips should be done.

Junior year, which was basically my first senior year, taught me how to say, "I'll see you later," instead of saying, "Goodbye." When you all graduated, I held back tears and talked about how jealous I was because I still had one more year left. I watched as you got your college acceptance letters and realized how much we wouldn't see each over the next year. You guys taught me to keep trying when things were difficult, like not being able to swim but trying out for the swim team anyway. The late night trips to the Waffle House might have turned into one random text throughout our crazy schedules of college, but I know that no matter how far apart we are, you will always be there.

Going into senior year, with half of my friend group gone from the previous year, taught me to make new friends while keeping the old. We chatted excitedly about where we were applying for college, struggled through AP courses while conquering senioritis, took spontaneous beach trips over breaks together and I cried after graduation because I realized how much I would miss you.

Thank you all for teaching me that drama is for the petty minded, and that it is possible to have friends without it. Even though our opinions varied on every subject, we maturely and freely talked about our thoughts. I learned how to be open-minded while sticking up for what I believe in, and how to be considerate of someone else's opinion even if I didn't agree.

Thank you for teaching me that I don't need to change to impress people. You guys taught me that I should be accepted for who I am, not who someone wants me to be.

Thank you for sharing amazing music with me. Some of my favorite songs now came from you, and I still smile every time I hear a Hozier song. Our awesome CDs from road trips still get played from time to time, and I remember all the crazy things that go along with each song.

Thank you for always being there for me. You guys were there for me when I needed you most, and I hope I always returned the favor.

Thank you for being you. High school would've sucked without you, and I'm glad I got to spend four years with you. Through the ups and downs, we always stuck together. No matter how far apart we are now, don't ever forget that I'm only a phone call away.

Love,

Your high school best friend