A Letter for My Brother and the 2016-2017 Rebels

Congratulations, you made history

148
Kelly Heffernan

Robert and the ‘16-’17 Rebels,

You did it.

When people think about the Super 8, they generally think of the top hockey teams from private schools throughout Massachusetts; and occasionally a town team scattered in the mix here and there. When people think Super 8, they’re not thinking about Arlington, Hingham, Walpole, and Marshfield. Most teams in the Super 8 are private schools who have their teams handpicked with kids from all over the state. But when it comes to you and the other town teams, you are unique because you are groups of boys who are all from the same town. Some of you have even been skating together since your glory days back in youth hockey.

Lots of people doubted the Walpole Rebels who before the Super 8 had a record of 21-0-1 and ultimately finished off their whole season with a record of 23-2-1. Many said you boys did not belong because you faced teams that were not challenging and that your schedule was 'easy'. Even when you were voted in, there were still people who continued to say that you did not belong and that you did not stand a chance against Catholic Memorial in the wild card game. You proved everyone wrong when you beat CM 2-1 in overtime. Up next was the number two seed Boston College High School. After a win by each team it forced a Game 3. Game 3 ended in a shootout after double overtime. This game could have gone either way, unfortunately for Walpole it went the wrong way. Throughout the series your drive and determination on the ice showed the MIAA and all of the naysayers that you truly did belong.

Your team as a whole is humble in the fact that you realize there is no 'I' in team. All of you know that working hard and working together is what gave you your success. Each person on your team is talented in many different ways, and all of you putting your talent together is what helped you make it as far as you did.

It was sad seeing your season come to an end, but you all have so much that you should be proud of. Besides having a phenomenal regular season, you played your hearts out in the Super 8 and gave it your all. You left everything you had on the ice during those difficult games. You accomplished so many things this season:

-You made history by being the first Walpole hockey team to make it to the Super 8

-You are the first BSC Herget Team to ever play in the Super 8

-You had the best winning percentage in Super 8 history

-You assisted your goalie in breaking the shutout record

But most importantly you made everyone proud. You gave your fans some of the most exciting and unbelievable hockey games that they have ever seen. You made our town proud and it was quite evident when you looked up at the stands during your games. Your fan section was overwhelming compared to the fan sections of the teams you faced in the Super 8. What an experience to have a whole town standing behind you, that is something most youth and high school hockey players won't have the opportunity to experience.

Congratulations on an incredible season and for making history. Everyone is so very proud of your accomplishments this year. The 2016-2017 Walpole Rebels boys hockey team is a team that people will remember.