An Open Letter To My Mom

An Open Letter To My Mom

“All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” -Abraham Lincoln

33
An Open Letter To My Mom
Bella Mitchell

Dear Mama,

You are my advocate, my role model, my guiding hand, my caregiver and the glue that holds our family together. Being away from home these past few years has only helped me realize just how important you are. Home really is where your mom is. I know I don’t show you or tell you enough how much I love you, but I’m hoping this letter can help with that. This one’s for you, mom.

First off, I want to say I’m sorry. I’m sorry it took so much time to finally appreciate what you do for me and the rest of our family. I spent numerous years taking advantage of your gentle heart and unconditional love for me. I took out all my frustrations on you knowing that you wouldn’t fight back and, no matter what, you would still love me at the end of the day. I’m sorry for the nights I kept you up worrying and wondering why I wasn’t home yet. I’m sorry for all the times I was ungrateful, unloving or unthoughtful. I would give anything to take those years back and realize earlier how blessed I am to have you as my mother.

Next, I want to say thank you. First and foremost, thank you for bringing me into this world and not already taking me out of it (as I have been threatened with once or twice). Thank you for answering my teary phone calls at midnight. For listening to my boy problems and reminding me that I deserve so much better. Thank you for sending me encouraging messages and bible verses that get me through the hard times. Thank you for always going above and beyond to make sure every need and want I have is met, no matter how ridiculous it is. Thank you for taking many years off work to spend time with us when we were little and to be the hands on mom you knew we needed. Thank you for teaching me that it’s okay to be yourself–no matter how quirky, weird or crazy your true self is. Thank you for always putting money in my account when funds are running low. For still scheduling my appointments and holding my hand when I get shots. But mostly, thank you for putting up with me throughout the years–I don’t know how you did it, mom.

As the years go on, I only hope that our relationship grows even stronger and that our mother-daughter relationship blossoms into one of being each other’s best friends. I know that one day when I have kids of my own I will then be able to fully comprehend and appreciate everything you’ve done for me. I hope I’ll be able to be the kind of mom you are. I aspire to one day be as kindhearted, loving, generous and God-fearing as you. I've seen you overcome some enormous obstacles in your life with unwavering character and such strength. You are truly my inspiration. I love you, mom. Happy Mother’s Day.

-Your daughter and your biggest fan