"Dear Younger Me"

"Dear Younger Me"

An open letter to my younger self.

762
"Dear Younger Me"
Taylor Werges

The band, Mercy Me, made a song called "Dear Younger Me," which inspired me to write this. What if we could sit down with our 7-year-old self and talk? What would we say, would we warn them, would we tell them who wins the world series that year? I challenge everyone to think about that because the choices we make, make us the person we are. So here it goes.

Dear younger me,

I'm not really sure what I should start with. I guess I'll start with the hard stuff. If there was a way you could be who I am now without the hurt, I'd find it. Everything you experience will make you who you are meant to be. Every turn, every heartbreak and every lie told to you will make you strong. Make sure to choose wisely; everything you choose will make you into a pretty great young lady. All of these obstacles will make you stronger, but will not define you. What defines you is everything you accomplish on your own. Oh, and by the way, you get to travel to a camp because you will be a passionate, talented, journalist. You will accomplish amazing things in high school, who knows what we will accomplish in college.

If you think something does not seem right, tell dad, cause girly he knows what you're going to say before you say it. When you're hurting and crying your self to sleep at night, baby girl, please tell your daddy. You will always be a daddy's girl, don't forget that.You will get told you are not good enough, but my dear, you are a child of God, you are loved. You are loved by the maker of this world and his son died for you. So many people love you and those you haven't met, when they meet you, they will love you. When life gets hard, just pray and talk to God, trust me, he is listening.

Never stop smiling, a simple smile can make someone's day. Keep leaving notes for people and being kind but do not let someone walk on you. Never let anyone dull your sparkle and your spunk. That small twinkle of love you have for teaching and helping others...run with it. By the way, that lazy eye makes you unique, it's cute and don't let anyone tell you it is not.

I wish I could tell you all I have learned so you don't have to experience the hurt, but I only have a letter long. I want to stress this part the most: when people tell you it's your fault and you ruined something, don't listen. It is not your fault it will never be your fault.

"Dear younger me
It’s not your fault
You were never meant to carry this beyond the cross" -Mercy Me

My dear, keep your head high, amazing things are to come.

Love, future you.

I encourage all who read this to type their own letter to their young self. Share your letter or keep it tucked away but write it. What would bring tears to your eyes? What memories good or bad would you change? If you could tell your 5 or 6-year-old self-something, would it change who you are now? I believe everything happens for a reason and all though I would love to tell my younger self all I have learned, there is a reason God won't let us.