To Our Body-Shaming Society, From The Girl Who's Trying To Live A Healthier Life

People have commented on my weight and my appearance many times before. I've shrugged it off and I've never let it bother me, but somehow when it still continued after I started working out and eating healthier, it crushed me.

22
Laura Jaen

I have never been one to openly speak about my body, but in an attempt to push myself out of my comfort zone, I decided to speak openly about a subject matter that isn't easy for me.

A Letter to my Body-Shaming Society,

Every day, I wake up in my body. Every day I have to decide just how confident I am. I have to choose what I'm going to wear to feel beautiful. Again, every day I wake up in my body.

The way that I look should be of no concern to you. If you are worried about my health in any way, then you'd already know that I am currently on a sugar detox and that I work out at least 5 times a week. You'd know that I blog and instagram about my health progress. I have my own fitness accounts so that I can post gym pictures and share my health articles. My friends and family choose to follow those accounts and keep up with me personally.

It's very discouraging to live in a society that continually tries to shame you, even when you're trying to live a healthier life. Sometimes it seems like you can be doing everything right, and someone will still come along and make comments or insult you for absolute no reason.

Lately, I have been on a high in life. Good things have been coming my way because I am working for them. Nobody can make the changes necessary to live a healthy life. You are the only one that can do it for yourself. I have learned that, even if it took me 21 years of life to fully understand it.

People have commented on my weight and my appearance many times before. I've shrugged it off and I've never let it bother me, but somehow when it still continued after I started working out and eating healthier, it crushed me. It hurt me only because I have been working so hard and have been waking up every day confident, without even having to think it over too long. It's taken me a long time to get to where I am today, and having someone discredit my progress affected me more than I am willing to admit.

To the person who shamed me when I ate one cookie at a gathering, after a long week of working out and eating right; to the person I was trying to help that shamed me for the way that I look; to the numerous people who have given me their health-related business cards- some without even saying a word, just slipping it to me in public- those who have approached me about some crazy, and honestly unhealthy, diet fads; shame on you. Shame on you for ruining my day, for shredding what few ounces of confidence I had in me that day, for marking my brain with your words and filling my eyes with tears. You should be ashamed. I honestly hope that nobody ever makes you feel the way that you made me feel.

I'm not asking for much, but if you're a stranger, leave me alone. You have no right to comment on my body. It's extremely rude and unnecessary. Sometimes, things are better left unsaid. You never know if your words will drive a young girl to participate in harmful and damaging eating habits.

As long as I live, I'll never look at another human being and judge them based on their weight, I will never doubt their abilities and I will never humiliate them. There is more to life than hurting someone, especially someone you don't know, with your words.

Sincerely,

the girl who's had enough