An Open Letter To My Best Friend

An Open Letter To My Best Friend

Thank you for bringing out the best in me.

25
An Open Letter To My Best Friend
Bridget Colburn

Dear best friend,

It is absolutely crazy to think that we have only known each other since around the eighth grade. It is even wilder for me to think that I was friends with your brother before I was even friends with you. From the moment I met you, I knew that we would become fast friends, but I could never even imagine us being as close as we are now. People always think that we have known each other our whole lives, and often think we are from the same town. Little do they know, we met because we have summer homes down the street from each other. I think our friendship is as strong as it is because we only see each other for a few short weeks every day over the summer, and sometimes in the winter. Even though we don't always see each other, I know for sure that you are always just a phone call or FaceTime away.

Spending the summers with you is something that I look forward to all year long. The weekly country concerts at Xfinity, daily excursions to the beach, the non-stop shenanigans, and nightly fires are something that I could not imagine living without. It is amazing having a person in your life that is willing to roam the lawn at Xfinity once a week, even in the pouring rain, just to listen to our favorite songs. It is even more amazing to have a friend who is willing to do the risky and participate in shenanigans with everyday, because most people just sit back and shake their heads at us. Sitting at the massive fires listening to country music with our ‘summer friends’ is definitely something that will never get old. With this being said, running from the Scituate police definitely does get really old really quickly, but we will continue to keep doing it anyway. We definitely have made some interesting friends in weird ways (the Guild and the New Yorkers), but I wouldn't take back any of those nights or friendships for a second. Our brothers may not approve of some of our friends, but who are they to judge?

Thank you for showing me what it is like to have a truly amazing best friend. Our friendship might be different than most, but it is unique which is another quality that makes our friendship one in a million. Thank you for inspiring me to be a better person. You have taught and encouraged me to be more confident in myself which is something that I could never have done without you. You have always been there to pick me up when I am down and offer up words of encouragement when I need them the most. Thank you for showing me that boys who don't respect you don't matter, I feel like you almost know me better than I know myself sometimes.

I am blessed to be able to call you my person. I am grateful for our friendship each day. You know all of my strengths and weaknesses, and I know yours. Even though we are away at two different colleges right now, I know that you still have my back just like you know that I have yours. I hope you are having the time of your life down in Virginia because you truly deserve the world. Words cannot even begin to describe my appreciation for you as a person and all that you do for me. Thank you for being my biggest cheerleader, role model, and best friend.

Love always,

Bridget