Let's Put An End To The Stigma Against Sexual Healthcare

End the personal risk; end the societal risk.

6
Tumblr

Sexual health is often overlooked; ignored by the overwhelming discomfort associated with the taboo of the subject. Although millennials are becoming more open to discussion and education of reproductive healthcare, many still turn a blind eye to what's really going on with their bodies. Not only does this pose a personal risk; it poses a societal risk.

As we continue to socially stigmatize reproductive healthcare, we will continue to force people away from seeking the care needed to be healthy, or even save their lives. It is an absolute necessity that we properly educate individuals within our society in regards to proper self-care, beginning with our adolescents. It is crucial that we approach this topic in an informative manner and in the best interest of our youth. Religious, political, and cultural backgrounds must be set aside; we can't shroud the adolescents of society from the realities of life. Complications are rooted in misinformation and ignorance. So, let's teach our kids about the normalities of sexual health; from birth control options to routine check-ups, and everything in between.

As a society, we shouldn't be terrified of associating ourselves with the usage resources like Planned Parenthood; we should embrace it. As long as they are available, we must take full advantage of this mere and simplistic accessibility within the realm of self-care. It shouldn't be taboo to get screened for STDs or walk into your local clinic just to get checked out. In fact, a certain degree of pride may be held within the idea of self-awareness and wellness. Why is a trip to Planned Parenthood any different than a trip to your physician? We should be comfortable with seeking birth control options, in the same way that we are comfortable with being treated for the flu.

In a similar respect, we must continue to abstain from shaming individuals based upon their sexual health and choices; Prefer abstinence? Awesome. Embrace your sexuality? Awesome. Expression of your beliefs shouldn't define you or prevent you from accessing appropriate health services.The integrity of our society will suffer if we insinuate hate towards individuals based on their choices. Personal contentment will create an overall presence of societal contentment.

The moment we find social acceptance within seeking reproductive health care is the moment we will become a stronger society. The first step to reducing stigma is bridging the gap between sexual health and basic health principles, essentially creating the indisputable cohesion between the two. As members of society, we have a lot of work to do; let's get to it.