Let's Not Boycott Delta

Let's Not Boycott Delta

How about we boycott Adam Saleh instead?

7
Let's Not Boycott Delta
NewsLocker

This past week, the internet blew up over a video YouTube star, Adam Saleh, posted of himself being kicked off of a Delta flight. In the video, Saleh and his friend are being escorted off the plane by a flight attendant while he makes a scene and exclaims multiple times that he is being removed from the plane because he was speaking Arabic. The video has since gone viral and caused #BoycottDelta to go viral, with people claiming they are going to boycott the airline due to them being intolerant of other languages and cultures.

I was not personally there at the time of the incident, but my father has been employed by Delta Airlines for longer than I have even been alive, and I have been blessed with the privilege of being able to take more flights with Delta than I can count. I have been flying with Delta airlines since I was a baby, and I can say that throughout my two decades of Delta experiences, I have never seen there be an issue with someone speaking another language on an airplane.

Delta Airlines is one of the top, most successful airlines in the world. Delta was founded in 1924 and has since become a multi-billion dollar company. It has been named the most admired airline by Fortune this year, making it the fifth time in six years, and has also been ranked number one in the Business Travel News Annual Airline survey for six years in a row. Delta has thousands of flights daily all over the world, with well over 300 destinations in 57 different countries across six different continents. A very large amount of Delta's customers speak languages other than English. Delta flights go all over the world, which has thousands of different languages being spoken throughout. Delta employees are extremely diverse and the flight attendants and crew are encouraged and at times required to speak more than one language.

Delta is a large, successful, and diverse company that would have absolutely no reason to discriminate against a language or culture. That would make absolutely no sense and would do nothing but hurt the company, and Delta is way too smart for that. As I mentioned earlier, I have never seen or heard of an instance where someone was discriminated against on a Delta flight due to them speaking another language. What I have heard of, though, and a few times even seen, is Delta not allowing passengers on board the flight who are disruptive or make the other passengers feel uncomfortable. This is usually due to the disruptive passenger being intoxicated.

Adam Saleh is a famous Youtuber who has millions of views on several different videos of him pranking people, and most importantly, pranking people on airplanes. He's posted several videos of himself on planes yelling and purposefully trying to make other passengers feel uncomfortable in order to gain views and popularity on the internet. In his recent Boycott Delta video, he claims that he was simply talking on the phone to his mother in Arabic, and was therefore asked to leave the plane before takeoff. However, multiple passengers who were seated around him were later interviewed and also tweeted that he was continuously standing up in his seat, raising his arms and fists, and yelling in Arabic. If a man sitting next to me on a plane did this, I would feel uncomfortable, no matter what language he was speaking. Some sources have even stated that a phone call by Saleh was never even made on the plane.

I believe that Saleh was purposefully trying to make others feel uncomfortable and cause turmoil in order to post about it on the internet and gain popularity. The fact that he was kicked off the flight for doing so may have been a surprise to him, but he got exactly what he wanted: people talking about him. All he is is an immature prankster wanting his fifteen minutes of fame, and he will manipulate and humiliate whoever and whatever he can in order to do so. The fact that he would prey on the racial and ethnic tensions of today is sick. Or maybe he was embarrassed that trying to do a stupid prank on the plane resulted in him being removed from the flight and he decided to turn the blame on Delta rather than taking responsibility for his actions.

Yes, he was speaking in Arabic and later escorted off the plane. But he was not escorted off the plane because he was speaking in Arabic. There is so much more to it than that. Delta would not lose a paying customer, delay a flight, or risk losing business simply over someone speaking in a different language. Come on, people. Stop supporting something just because it's a hashtag on Twitter and start thinking logically.