I Know We Hate Being THAT Couple, But Let Me Have This Moment To Be THAT Girlfriend

Rule #1: NO PDA!

217

Do you ever hang out with someone for the first time and then, you just know you want to see them again?

That's what happened when I met my boyfriend.

He made me laugh so much that I knew right away he would be worth keeping around for a long time. But, let's back up for a second. You see, we both thought that it would just be a one-time kind of deal, as if we had intentions to hang out again (college, am I right?). That thought only lasted for so long until I already started planning when I would have the time to see him again.

Back in high school, my mom told me the story of how she knew my dad was the one. She got the sign, and it felt like magic. She assured me that when I meet the one for me, I will know in an instant. It will feel right. It will not always be easy, but it will be worth it.

And, I took that advice to heart no matter how anti-relationship I once was.

Yes, I knew that I wanted to date my boyfriend before he could even decide for himself whether or not he liked me in that way. I played it cool for as long as I could. I expected nothing more and nothing less. I went with the flow, but I did hit the point where I wondered, "So what now?"

Despite how dysfunctional our relationship started, we figured how to make it work together. I think we did not expect that from each other. We had lower expectations, like thinking we would only last a few months since becoming "official." The good news is we beat the odds!

Being in a relationship with this dude has been quite an adventure. There's absolutely no way that I would ever trade it for the world.

There was this very brief stint where I had convinced myself that I could not really handle being in a relationship. I started to find a flaw in everything. When I told him that I felt like it was not working out for any more, he was willing to let me go just so I could be happy. And, that did kill me because he did not think twice about it. All he wanted for me was to be happy. If it meant that he couldn't be a part of my life, he was going to accept it.

That's when it hit me like a truck: he is the one

All the major things, all the little things, they all make me so appreciative of him. Listening to long rants. Letting me pick the restaurant. Getting excited with me over school-related stuff. Supporting me in everything I do. Giving me pep talks when I really low. Sharing memes with me on the daily. I could go on and on forever.

For my boyfriend to be so genuine and selfless, I knew I picked an ultimate keeper. And, I hope he's okay with being stuck with for a very long time.