11 Lessons You Need To Learn To Make Long Distance Relationships Work

How to not only survive, but thrive.

878

My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year, and three months ago, I moved away to college. No, we do not live thousands of miles apart. We’re only a three-hour drive from each other on most days (153 miles), but I’ve learned so many important things about our relationship that I never would have experienced if we were able to see each other every day like most other couples.

1. Communication is not negotiable

In any relationship, it is important to communicate, especially if one person is upset about something, but in a long-distance relationship, communication is the key to making things work. Whenever one of us is upset about something, we stop whatever we’re doing and talk it through so that no hard feelings build up. Being honest is one of the most important pieces of communication in a relationship.

2. The little things become the big things

When we’re together, my boyfriend and I hide notes for each other to find. Reading something he’s written to me, whether it's 6 words or 6 pages, makes my entire day.

In a long-distance relationship, the simplest things like saying “I love you” in the middle of a conversation become the most important things. Even the smallest gestures can hold you off until the next time you see each other.

3. You’re going to get attached to your phone

I know, this goes against everything us Millennials are trying to prove to older generations, but it’s going to happen. When the only way to contact your partner is through a phone, you’re going to be checking it profusely.

4. …and people are going to give you shit for it

I’m sorry, but are you me?

Are you my boyfriend?

No?

Then don’t tell me whether or not my relationship will work.

5. You’re going to doubt yourself

There will be many nights when you’ll say “I don’t know if I can do this." In these moments it is so important to talk to your partner and tell them how you’re feeling. Usually, just hearing their voice can calm you down enough to rationally talk through your feelings and doubts.

6. It will become easier to make conversation

You will literally talk about everything. Because the other person isn’t there, you pretty much have to go through your day and explain everything you did. It can seem boring at first, but there will always be a part of your day that stirs up an interesting conversation.

7. You will be asked if it's really "worth it"

Yes, it is. Don’t try to change my mind.

8. Arguments are so much harder through a screen, but don't put them off

I hate texting because you never know what emotions are accompanied by the texts you’re receiving. If you’re unsure, always ask to call or FaceTime. Never put an important conversation off. It’s better to get it all out on the table than to have the little things build up and explode later.

9. Be present

I find this lesson to be the most ironic because people constantly look at our generation and call us “lazy” or judge us for the way technology has become so integral in our lives.

In a long-distance relationship, technology is the lifeline you have to desperately hold on to during the time you and your partner are apart. When you do get to see each other face to face, whether it’s through a screen or in person, be present.

Don’t let the little things distract you from the time you get to spend together. You can always get to the little things later.

10. The time you spend together becomes so much more meaningful

I’ve found that some of my favorite moments occur when we’re sitting in bed eating junk food or driving in the car. My boyfriend is big on finding cool things for us to do, which I love, but now that we live far apart, just being able to sit and talk is what I really look forward to. I know that no matter what we’re doing or how long we have together, we’re going to make the most of it.

11. You have to be in it 100%

Long distance relationships don’t work unless both parties are willing to go the distance. You have to be fully committed to the other person, and you have to trust each other. More than ever, you will become the other person's rock. A long distance relationship is a road that goes both ways: you have to give and take.

There will be times when you’ll feel terrified about the future, when you’ll question both your partner and yourself, and when you’ll be totally unsure about how your relationship is ever going to work. But if you put in the time and work together, long-distance relationships are totally worth it.

I’ve learned so much about my boyfriend, and myself, because of our time apart. It’s made our relationship stronger than ever, and I know that no matter what, we’re going to get through anything that gets thrown at us, together. We may be far apart, but we love each other: all or nothing.