Lessons Learned From How I Met Your Mother

A Show Worth Watching
65

If you're a fan of How I Met Your Mother, then this one is for you.

It's one of those feel-good shows that really makes you want to look at your own life and wish you were in theirs instead. You grow with the characters and may even cast your friends in real life as the characters in the show. But maybe that's just me.

How I Met Your Mother has meaning. When you watch an episode, you learn lessons and may look at things in a whole new way.

The show teaches you to take risks:

In almost every episode, one of the characters is taking a risk. Ted has a famous quote (actually many famous quotes) and that is...

"If you’re not scared then you’re not taking a chance. If you’re not taking a chance then what the hell are you doing anyway?”

It's true. In life you have to take chances. It's the only way to get to the places you want to go in life.

Nothing good happens past 2:00 AM:

Ted just speaks the lesson for itself. If you really think about it, isn't it true?

It's okay to be confident:

The famous character that we have all grown to love is Barney, and Barney has never once seemed unconfident about himself. He may even be a little too confident, but How I Met Your Mother teaches us that it's okay to be awesome and to tell people you're awesome. There's no harm in being a little confident and not caring what people think of you.

Never settle:

Yet another lesson taught by Ted Mosby. The show is based on his long journey of finding the woman he would marry, and along his journey he had so many experiences that helped him realize that he needed to wait for the right person, even if it meant saying goodbye to another. This doesn't just apply to romantic relationships either — it applies to friendships too. Why not find the friends that love who you are as a person?

There's nothing wrong with being a little different:

This lesson comes from Robin, the outsider from New York who finds her true friends in McLaren's Pub. She is very different from your average girl, and the show teaches you that it's okay to not be like everybody else — and to be a teenage pop star from Canada instead.

There's no way to predict the future:

HIMYM teaches us that there's really no way to tell which direction life is going to take you. Even if you have certain plans for your life, where you end up is unpredictable. Where you end up is never what you would even expect.

Live in the moment:

First of all, you rarely see these characters in their favorite booth at McLaren's on their phones. They're always enjoying each other's company, and only worrying about what is happening there in the moment. This lesson is mainly learned from Ted from his famous scene from his college years. Probably one of my favorite HIMYM quotes of all time...

If you haven't seen the show, I really do recommend it. It's not just a comedy taking place in New York. It's a story of friends in New York taking on life and its obstacles, which is a little bit like what we all do everyday. And I can tell you, you will definitely get a laugh out of this one.