95 Real Life Lessons You Can Learn From Watching 'BoJack Horseman' On Netflix

Just because a show takes place in an alternate universe with talking animals doesn't make their problems any less real.

1851
YouTube

Hooray?

BoJack Horseman is a Netflix original series with four seasons (and a fifth in the making!) about an alternate universe where humans and talking animals live side by side. It focuses on the life of BoJack Horseman, a horse who starred in a famous TV show back in the 90s and is now searching for meaning in his life after its cancellation. Although it may sound a bit silly, the show delves intro controversial issues and very real problems involving mental health, relationships, alcoholism, eating disorders, illness, failed pregnancies, unemployment and much more. Depending on the episode you're watching, you might find yourself crying laughing, shouting at your television screen, or shocked at the fact that a cartoon has made you feel depressed. It's one of the most engaging television shows I've seen in a long time. Here 95 lessons I've learned from the show, episode to episode, with minimal spoilers:

1. Not everyone is a writer. (Season 1 Episode 1)
  2. Don’t combine work and romance. (Season 1 Episode 1)
  3. Don’t eat too much cotton candy. (Season 1 Episode 1)
  4. Even famous people have anxiety attacks, everyone has their own problems. (Season 1 Episode 1)
  5. Don’t let your past define you. (Season 1 Episode 1)
  6. It’s okay to tell your friends if you’re in a rough situation. (Season 1 Episode 2)
  7. But it’s okay to talk about your past, no matter how rough it was. (Season 1 Episode 2)
  8. Don’t do things out of spite. (Season 1 Episode 2)
  9. Sometimes you need to be the bigger person and just apologize. (Season 1 Episode 2)
  10. You are an influence to everyone around you, whether you want to be or not. (Season 1 Episode 3)
  11. It is possible to be too good of a friend, sometimes you need to say no. (Season 1 Episode 3)
  12. There are times when kicking someone out is more than justifiable. (Season 1 Episode 3)
  13. Always believe in and support your friends, even if they become more successful than you. (Season 1 Episode 4)
  14. Sometimes you need to be brutally honest. (Season 1 Episode 4)
  15. Everyone is afraid of being alone, whether they want to admit it or not. (Season 1 Episode 4)
  16. Never purposefully ruin a friend’s chances of success just because you envy them. (Season 1 Episode 4)
  17. Don’t lie to make money, it could land you in prison. (Season 1 Episode 5)
  18. It’s important to remind your friends how much you appreciate them, they might really need some reassurance. (Season 1 Episode 5)
  19. Never ignore an anonymous phone call. (Season 1 Episode 5)
  20. Not everyone likes grand gestures. In fact, some people absolutely despise them. (Season 1 Episode 6)
  21. On the other hand, almost everyone likes an act of kindness that shows that you actually know something personal about them. (Season 1 Episode 6)
  22. One-upping competitions never end well. (Season 1 Episode 6)
  23. Drowning your problems in drugs and alcohol won’t magically make them disappear. It will only wreak more havoc. (Season 1 Episode 6)
  24. Drinking is never the solution and drinking too much will only multiply your problems. (Season 1 Episode 6)
  25. NEVER join two rival prison gangs, that is dangerous territory. (Season 1 Episode 6)
  26. If you never reveal your true feelings, you’ll always wonder what could have been. (Season 1 Episode 6)
  27. Everything happens for a reason. (Season 1 Episode 6)
  28. Don’t judge a book by its cover. (Season 1 Episode 7)
  29. Don’t expect people to change. (Season 1 Episode 7)
  30. Don’t rush into a relationship just because you’re lonely. (Season 1 Episode 7)
  31. Everybody modes mistakes. (Season 1 Episode 7)
  32. People are relentless (Season 1 Episode 8)
  33. Never leave a friend alone. (Season 1 Episode 8)
  34. Don’t kiss a friend, it’ll just make things awkward. (Season 1 Episode 8)
  35. Not everyone is who they say they are. (Season 1 Episode 9)
  36. Don’t sacrifice one friend’s happiness just to spite another. (Season 1 Episode 9)
  37. Brutal honesty can make for a much more intriguing and relatable story. (Season 1 Episode 10)
  38. Drugs do NOT help you work. (Season 1 Episode 11)
  39. It’s okay to not know what you want. (Season 1 Episode 12)
  40. Don’t put money into any idea you don’t intend to follow through on. (Season 1 Episode 12)
  41. Spending time with your roommates can be fun. (Season 1 Episode 13)
  42. Don’t lie to a naive friend. (Season 2 Episode 2)
  43. Don’t take advantage of a funeral. (Season 2 Episode 3)
  44. Everyone grieves differently. (Season 2 Episode 3)
  45. Loss can help connect you to old friends. (Season 2 Episode 3)
  46. It’s okay to be an introvert. (Season 2 Episode 4)
  47. Don’t be afraid to start to fall in love again, just don’t get ahead of yourself either. (Season 2 Episode 6)
  48. You can’t help everyone. (Season 2 Episode 5)
  49. Know your values. (Season 2 Episode 7)
  50. Just have fun, even if things aren’t going as planned. Complaining will only ever make things worse. (Season 2 Episode 8)
  51. Sometimes you need to take risks. (Season 2 Episode 9)
  52. You and only you can know what’s best for you. (Season 2 Episode 10)
  53. Improv can be really fun! Just make sure your troupe isn’t a cult. (Season 2 Episode 10)
  54. Things change over time. (Season 2 Episode 11)
  55. Even if they are the age of consent and they are relentlessly knocking at your bedroom door, it is NEVER okay to even consider hooking up with your friend’s kid. You need to be the mature one and tell them no. (Season 2 Episode 11)
  56. Don’t give minors bourbon and expect nothing to go wrong. (Season 2 Episode 11)
  57. Kids aren’t the same as they were in the 90s. (Season 2 Episode 11)
  58. Sometimes your friends need a helping hand. Other times, they might really need you to rescue them. (Season 2 Episode 12)
  59. Don’t be lazy. (Season 3 Episode 1)
  60. Be careful not to go overboard. (Season 3 Episode 2)
  61. Don’t get sprayed by a skunk, they are very smelly. (Season 3 Episode 3)
  62. A lot can be said without saying anything at all. (Season 3 Episode 4)
  63. You could meet someone great on a blind date. Don’t give up if you don’t click with the first few people you meet. (Season 3 Episode 5)
  64. It’s nice to catch up with old friends even if you haven’t seen them in a very long time. (Season 3 Episode 5)
  65. You don’t have to be deemed the best at something to be successful and talented in it. (Season 3 Episode 6)
  66. Abortions are very real and they aren’t something to treat lightly and joke about. Whether or not to have one is a decision that only a pregnant woman herself can make, regardless of the way the people around her view her decision. The women you care about need to be supported no matter what. (Season 3 Episode 6)
  67. Sometimes you don’t realize how useful something could be in your life until you try to get rid of it. (Season 3 Episode 7)
  68. Bad things can happen everywhere you go, there is no such thing as paradise, even if you’re in the Labrador Peninsula. (Season 3 Episode 8)
  69. It’s never a bad idea to get a second opinion. (Season 3 Episode 9)
  70. Friends and family should always come before fans. (Season 3 Episode 10)
  71. Losing a friend is never easy. (Season 3 Episode 11)
  72. There is such a thing as too much fun. Don’t be careless. (Season 3 Episode 11)
  73. Just because there’s a drug named after you doesn’t mean you should do it. (Season 3 Episode 11)
  74. One small mistake can have dire consequences. (Season 3 Episode 11)
  75. Don’t run for governor if you have no idea what you’re doing...remind you of anyone? (Season 4 Episode 1)
  76. Don’t work with your ex, it will just make things complicated. (Season 4 Episode 1)
  77. It’s okay to be asexual or fall anywhere on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum. (Season 4 Episode 1)
  78. Don’t accidentally tip your waitress 8 million dollars. It doesn’t hurt to double check. (Season 4 Episode 1)
  79. Miscarriages are common, you aren’t alone if you go through one. Don’t be afraid to reach out to someone to talk about it, bottling it up will just make it even more painful. (Season 4 Episode 1)
  80. Don’t ignore your friends, their lives are just as important as yours. (Season 4 Episode 1)
  81. Don’t let your past keep you from having a future (Season 4 Episode 2)
  82. People who act out often had a rough past. Take that into consideration before you lash out at them. (Season 4 Episode 2)
  83. Literally anything could be considered fashion if it is under a big name. (Season 4 Episode 3)
  84. It’s okay to take time before labelling yourself or even avoid labels entirely when it comes to your identity. (Season 4 Episode 3)
  85. Always things before you sign them. (Season 4 Episode 4)
  86. Guns can be empowering but you can’t forget that they are lethal weapons. (Season 4 Episode 5)
  87. Depression and anxiety are often the causes behind excessive overthinking. (Season 4 Episode 6)
  88. Just because a little voice in your head tells you you’re a disappointment doesn’t mean it’s true. (Season 4 Episode 6)
  89. Stay calm, no matter what the situation, and everything will be okay. (Season 4 Episode 7)
  90. You don’t always get to do what you want to do in life and that’s okay. (Season 4 Episode 8)
  91. Hiding things only ever causes more pain in the end. (Season 4 Episode 9)
  92. Sometimes thinking about a more positive future can help you push through the present. (Season 4 Episode 9)
  93. Never give up. (Season 4 Episode 10)
  94. Sometimes relationships just don’t work out but there is someone for everyone and you just need to keep searching. (Season 4 Episode 12)
  95. Family and friends should stick together, even if you’re just starting to really get to know each other. (Season 4 Episode 12)