Lessons From 2016

Lessons From 2016

2016 has been a roller coaster of emotions.

44
Lessons From 2016

2016 has been a roller coaster of emotions and there’s still some days left to make a change. On the verge of giving up, I decided to try one more time. One more unlikely, doubtful time. The past was evident that this chance might not work out either, but giving up on myself was not an option anymore. Others have given up on me and never believed in me from the start, but this time I was going to choose myself.

There’s a saying that if one door closes, another one opens. There’s also another variation of that saying that suggests a window will open if a door is closed. Either way that you interpret these thoughts, it’s easy to keep re-opening things that should stay closed. And it’s also possible to make things harder for yourself by never taking the opportunity when those windows or doors do open.

This past year has held several doors that have opened, re-opened, never closed all the way, or simply slammed shut and I was forced to walk away. I sometimes wonder how my future will play out after all that’s happened this year, but I’ve learned to not worry about that. This year has taught me to remain fully grounded in the moment that I’ve been given.

Another lesson that has made it's way to my doorstep is the necessity to be happy with myself and being on my own. I believe this is a vital quality that humans should possess because it allows you to make decisions for yourself, requires that you not rely on others, and it gives you a sense of freedom when you do not care what others will think. That is the moment when you can truly start living your life.

Others that I have spoken to have reflected my thoughts about this year and why it’s so important to be a shining light in this world. So much hate, prejudice, and violence has masked a majority of this year in the news and on social media. Humanity has lost its ability to make connections with others even though we may be different. Open-mindedness is sometimes rare these days. It’s no wonder people are looking forward to what they hope will be a clean slate in the New Year.

But looking back on all of the experiences that one year could hold, it’s amazing how much you can change in that time. This time of year is a good way to reflect on what’s happened and what needs to change in the coming year for happiness. So if you’re feeling worn out or doubtful that 2017 will be anything better, try to give hope another chance. 2017 might be the new door that opens up for you.