I Haven’t Had Sex In Over 2 Years, And Here's What I’ve Learned

I Haven’t Had Sex In Over 2 Years, And This Is What I’ve Learned

Musings from your favorite neighborhood nympho.

13786

I haven't had sex since I lost my virginity at the end of my sophomore year of high school and now I'm a freshman in college, so I'd like to say I know a thing or two about not having sex. Here are four lessons I've learned over the last two years of abstinence.

1. You do not ​NEED ​to be having sex.

I'm hoping most people already know this, but I just wanted to remind everyone that, contrary to what our society says, you do not NEED to have sex by a certain age or in a certain setting (i.e. college). Having sex will not solve all of your problems (crazy, I know) and it does not somehow make you more mature or more like an adult. It's just not a necessity, no matter how much people may try to pressure you into it.

2. Masturbation is GREAT.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have survived this quarantine without my trusty vibrator. Whether or not you have sex toys, watch porn, or read erotica, I promise masturbating will release some of that pent-up sexual frustration you've been feeling. Plus, it's a great way to get to know your body and to figure out what feels good to you for future reference. Just because don't have a partner doesn't mean you can't reach that big O.

3. It’s OK to be jealous of other people having sex.

Sexual frustration is totally normal, and so is jealousy! It can be really hard to listen to your friends' recount all of their sexual encounters if you're not getting any. If you don't want to hear the play-by-play from your friends' latest dick appointments, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking them to keep you out of the loop for that. Your sexual encounters will come eventually, and until then it's normal to envy the lucky people who are getting it on.

4. You will eventually get laid again, I promise.

If you're like me and are going through a bit of a dry spell, don't fret! There are many ways to get back into the swing of things, all you have to do is put the time and effort into it. There's nothing wrong with shaking things up and finding new a new partner, as long as you're safe about it. Or, if you're more like me, you can always go online and figure out what your next "treat-yo'-self" gift will be for when you get a little too lonely at night.

You can still be a sexual person without having sex, believe it or not. If you haven't had sex in a while, it's completely fine, trust me.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.